98SE & XP

NotsoNewuser 21:35 16 Jul 2006

Am thinking of upgrading to XP from 98SE.
Can this be done by reformatting, loading XP and entering the valid 98 key at the appropriate time or does one have to have 98 running on the PC?
If this the case how does one change from FAT system to NTFS?

sean-278262 21:40 16 Jul 2006

Windows 98 CD keys will get you no where. That would not validate windows. You require to get a full new version of XP and then install it on the computer afresh. However a PC running 98 may be very very slow running XP as it eats ram. 512mb is just about tolerable 256 or less and you will not be having a lot of fun.

From what I read it appears you are under the impression XP is an upgrade. However this is not the case. XP is a completely new piece of software.

A

VoG II 21:42 16 Jul 2006
  mgmcc 21:46 16 Jul 2006

<<< Can this be done by reformatting, loading XP and entering the valid 98 key at the appropriate time or does one have to have 98 running on the PC? >>>

If you are wanting to *CLEAN INSTALL* XP from an Upgrade copy of the CD, you will be prompted during the installation to insert the CD for the earlier qualifying version of Windows to verify that you are entitled to use an Upgrade copy. You do not need to enter the Windows 98 Product Key, only to insert the CD.

ade.h 21:47 16 Jul 2006

When installing an "upgrade" copy of XP, I always perform a clean installation and insert a valid Win 98/ME CD when prompted. The XP installation manager verifies the other OS CD, asks you to swap the CDs around again and then continues with the installation.

mammak 22:04 16 Jul 2006

Bump about to try for the records.

NotsoNewuser 22:30 16 Jul 2006

Thanks all, very helpful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017