98Lite help please.

geoff47 00:42 14 Dec 2004

I have come across a program that says it can delete Internet Explorer.I have it installed and have deleted Outlook Express but it only brings up the option to repair or add components when trying to delete IE.
Apparently Win 98 is more stable and secure when its integration with IE is broken.I never use IE or Outlook Express choosing to use Incredimail and Mozilla Firefox (as I have found out Crazy Browser uses parts of IE)
Any advice would be more than helpful.
By the way I started a thread asking for advice about why IE keeps opening un asked,on boot up or when browsing or at random times for no apparent reason....with no asnwers....But this is one of the reasons I would like to delete it also.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Geoff47

Valvegrid 07:21 14 Dec 2004

I use this program. To delete IE you need to go to Start, then in the programs list look for 98lite, in the three or four menus there's one that says Windows Setup, click on it, this is the same window as the one in Control Panel. You will see many more items that can be removed.

I'm doing this from memory, so I hope I've got it right.

By the way, certain elements of Windows require a version of IE to be install to work, for instance MS Office plus some other programs, so you may find its better to leave it installed. I have remove a lot of rubbish, about 60MB of it and have found Windows 98 very stable. But its not my preferred Operating system for the Internet because its still venerable.

geoff47 19:03 14 Dec 2004

Valvegrid....
You are correct from memory....I am doing just as you say but when I click to delete I get the same dialoque as before asking to repair or add components to IE.Is there an update or something that denies 98Lite from deleting Internet Explorer?
What have you stripped from Windows ...I am not an expert...but have read that windows can be slimmed down for speed and reliability,although it is the reliablity I am after more than the speed.Thanks for your reply...this one seems unpopular amongst the other contributors here.
Any ideas why IE opens on its own?
Geoff47

Valvegrid 19:07 14 Dec 2004

It sounds like you are trying to delete IE from the Add/Remove Programs in the control panel. In Windows setup IE has a tickbox against it, remove the tick and it removes IE, as easy as that. Are you using the paid for version or the free one?

Valvegrid 19:52 14 Dec 2004

If this helps I have temporarily put a screen dump of my 98Lite on my web site. The first one is were to locate Configure Windows:

click here

Once you click on that, these next screens are scrolling down the Windows Setup. The second one down shows IE, if you double click on it you'll see all the components you can un-install:

click here

click here

click here

geoff47 00:49 15 Dec 2004

Thanks for that..that is were I have gone wrong so far....I am going right now to try it and will report back.....thanks.
Geoff47

geoff47 01:10 15 Dec 2004

I have done the deed....I am now on Mozilla Firefox.
Crazybrowser and Incredimail no longer work though But I was expecting that so no problem.
I discovered nothing was ticked in the Internet tools window....but I had failed to click on "apply"
So I am feeling humbled right now....
Thanks a lot for your trouble Valvegrid needed yor feedback to do it .
Thanks again.
Geoff47

Valvegrid 06:49 15 Dec 2004

Great! I'm glad you've got it sorted.

geoff47 23:30 15 Dec 2004

Now when trying to find Images that were available earlier....I am told iexplore is needed to open the files.Now I know iexplore is part of Internet Explorer,so how do I now open these same files?

Hope you are still on the ball Valvegrid.
I am currently trying my hand at web site design(first timer) and the images are unobtainable.
Any help in this please will be very handy.
Geoff47

Valvegrid 10:53 16 Dec 2004

I have got to go to a meeting, so I can't give you the detailed reply you need at the moment. Hopefully if I bump your post to the top, someone will pick this up for you. I'll check back later and reply.

Valvegrid 13:40 16 Dec 2004

No one's answered!

OK, a few things; to view your images you can use something like IrfanView click here.

As regards building web sites, you want to seriously consider retaining IE. If you are using MS FrontPage this may require IE to be installed to for FrontPage to operate correctly, also you need to test your web site, as most of the world is still using IE it makes sense to test the web site using IE, you can also install some of the other browsers as well like Opera and Firefox, to name just two alternatives, to make sure your web site will work with them as well.

Although I've got 98Lite, I've still got IE6 installed but I never use it for the Internet, its there because certain other programs in Windows need to use its components and doesn't slow down Windows as much as you think. If you are worried about security, block it from accessing the Internet without permission, you can then keep an eye on what it wants to access and say yay or nay.

Those are my findings, I expect others will have different views.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017