98 Boot problem

NJ 13:50 12 Feb 2003

Has anyone come across these error messages, if so what are they and how can they be fixed. 1:EMM386 has detected error #^u5in an application at mem address 168B:7049.
2: expression:idxstart+nBLOCKS =nMEMBLOCKS SOURCE:line 266 of msprintf.c,
the first one comes just after the memmory test at boot up, the second one comes up if we try to boot from windows 98 disc.I can not get into windows even in safe mode. If I have to reformat the hard drive and start again could some one tall me how ,because I have never had to do it before .

woodchip 14:23 12 Feb 2003

You have got faulty Memory, if you have more than one strip of memory take one at a time out and check startup but make shure that the memory left in the computer is in slot 0 or 1 and test

tps 14:44 12 Feb 2003

Boot up your pc using the cdrom and choose option 2.boot pc with cdrom support.

goto the designated drive letter for your cd rom and insert your win98 cd.
At the prompt type cd\windows\command.
and type format C: and press enter,press y when the message "formating your hard disk will erase all files do you still want to proceed?"
when the message "enter voloume label" press escape.a message will be displayed format is complete and return you to the prompt of your cd-rom.you should now help you to make a fresh install of windows98.

Hope this helps in your quest to make you pc healthy again.

NJ 08:20 05 Apr 2003

To woodchip & tps thanks for the advice, sorry it has taken so long to reply, removing the memory strip did the trick, but after a while the problem got worse I found the problem was actualy a loose proccesor fan, so every thing is now working fine thanks again NJ.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?