8mm film onto a DVD

Spr 12:34 29 May 2010

I’ve been told that it is possible to copy 8mm film onto a DVD.
How is done & what will the quality be like?
I dont want to spoil the films as they are of the family growing up

Technotiger 13:38 29 May 2010

If your camera has a suitable connection for PC, it is a comparatively simple process. Saving footage to PC then burning to DVD.

Technotiger 13:46 29 May 2010

Two other possibilities click here might give you some ideas.

However, an even better way is to connect camera to suitable DVD Recorder connected to TV, you could then record direct to DVD. You would not be able to edit footage this way, whereas doing so via PC enables editing of footage.

Diemmess 15:37 29 May 2010

If you mean 8mm film - Kodachrome and others, it may prove simpler in the long run to have the work done professionally.

But if you prefer to DIY then you will need an 8mm projector, a dark room or suitable 'white box,' and ideally a digital camcorder.

I did it in two stages separated by >20 years.
I borrowed some Sony device which converted the projected 8mm and Super 8 to VCR.
Only last month I transferred the VCR tapes to HDD (Panasonic digibox) and then dubbed DVDs from the tapes.

Technotiger has given you a short cut between projection and the DVD.
It all depends where you start and what equipment you have available

Diemmess 15:49 29 May 2010

what will the quality be like?
With luck, at least as good as the original.
Some of my original 8mm film was 50 years old and quality varied with the particular 8mm camera used at the time. All of it was worth having for family nostalgia.
One film which stood out for quality was only 20 years old and taken on a Panasonic camcorder.

Fingees 16:24 29 May 2010

I put all my 8mm to tape, by showing the films onto a sheet of white paper, placed on the bottom of a cardboard box. this just shades it a bit from too much light.

The box was then laid on its side, and the film projected on to the paper from about three feet away, and at the same time photographed it with an old movie camera fed into my pc.

Even a web cam will do.

Once on the hard drive it's easy to make a dvd

john bunyan 16:30 29 May 2010

I recently sent about 10 super 8 films to be put on to a DVD- quite expensive at about £70. The camera and projector are long gone and the films were over 20 - 35 years old.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

5 best 3D model websites

iPhone 8 vs iPhone X

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache