8mm film to CD

Spr 14:00 04 Aug 2010

I am having some very old 8mm films transferred to CD, in random order are there any programs that I can
a) freeze the CD & take a photo from it
b) edit it the films on the CDs, so I can put them into order of my choosing

Thank you

Fingees 16:22 04 Aug 2010

play the cd you have made,from a cd player, input it to the computer via video in.

This will create a movie file on your computer, which can then be edited etc, via any video editing program.

Les28 17:54 06 Aug 2010

Being a CD I'm only guessing but it sounds like it may be either in mpeg1 format a Video CD or SVCD mpeg2 format. Something like
G Spot would tell you what format it is.

click here

When you get the cd can you just copy its contents to a folder on your hard drive from the cd drawer in your pc?

Programs like VLC player or Topaz Moment will let you take a snapshot at any point in playback, probably lots of other programs too, but Topaz Moment enhances the picture quality, so maybe find a free trial download of it.

If it's mpeg1, Windows Movie Maker will allow you to edit it, mpeg2 you need to look for other video editing progs or fiddle around converting mpeg2 to avi for Movie Maker to accept.

stlucia 20:48 06 Aug 2010

Have you got a digital video camera, Spr?

What I did with my 8mm films was to get them transferred in .avi format onto mini DV tapes, then used my video camera to transfer them to my PC, and then my normal editing software to edit out all the useless bits and to get it into the correct chronological order, and create DVDs which would play on my telly. At the time I was using Pinnacle, but now I use Ulead VideoStudio 8.

DieSse 22:51 06 Aug 2010

The free vlc media player enables you to pause playback at any point and take a snapshot, which is saved as a jpg.

vlc is an excellent media player, free and more versatile than the standard windows one.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?