8800 GTX Upgrade Problem

Chris-G- 15:09 19 Oct 2007

I have been building my own systems for a few years and my current set-up is as follows

Core 2 Duo E6600
4GB Corsair XMS2-6400 Ram
Gigabyte 965P DS3
Seasonic 500w PSU
2 * 500 GB Hitachi Deskstar HDD
Asus GeForce 7900 GT 256MB
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS
Antec P180

I decided to upgrade my graphics card to the 8800 GTX and from some research I decided it would be sensible to upgrade my PSU.

So I decided on the Corsair HX 620W ATX 2.2 Modular PSU and the ASUS GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB DDR3 PCIE Dual DVI (I went for the ASUS as I have never had a problem with them previously)

After I changed the PSU I ran the system with the current configuration (i.e. old card and it worked fine) the trouble came after I installed the new 8800 GTX. On power up I now get a high pitched tone coming from the card. I have attatched both the PCI-E power cables and tested both on my old card to check that both work and they power it ok. I also tried powering the graphics card alone with my old 500w PSU and still get the same problem.

I don’t think I have done anything wrong and think it’s a duff new card!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

you can get a slight hiss from the capacitors on the gtx, but if it's an actual tone, i think it's struggling for power, it needs (prefers) 31 amps on the 12volt rail.

minimum 29 amps, i have just been corrected!

Chris-G- 15:45 19 Oct 2007

I just checked the Corsair specs for the PSU and they state they support combined rating of 50 amps on the 12V rail.

I also read alot of reviews that stated the PSU had enough juice to power the 8800gtx.

well if it is and you have said you have both leads connected. looks like a duff card. does the noise sound like a warning sound?

Chris-G- 15:53 19 Oct 2007

yeah its a high pitched constant tone, sounds like a warning sound to me. Although never had a card fail on me so can't be certain.

The only thing that concerned me was that from some forums I read if the card is under powered it generally posts with the tone but all I get is the tone and nothing on screen.

Guess its a duff card thanks for your help it much appreciated

yes they do, but only severly under powered, you can get away with a performance drop and no warning if you are only making minimum spec, but with that psu i think you need to return it. have you asked here? click here

Chris-G- 16:02 19 Oct 2007

I'll give them a shot, thanks again for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?