81Mb attachment via dial-up + AVG

Batch 09:20 17 Jul 2006

Want a good laugh? I'm ashamed to admit it, but my brother has tried to send an email with an 81Mb attachment through his freeserve dial-up connection.

After an hour or so, having managed to send about 10%, he gave up.

Now, the problem is that he has AVG Free installed and the email has been transferred from OE6 (and so is already in his sent box) to AVG and it is AVG that is trying to send the email and it will continue to try to send the email again and again until it succeeds (but see last para below).

Having looked at the AVG email scanner, there does not appear to be any means by which one can remove emails from AVG. On my PC, I've located the AVG work area (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg7\QUEUE) which has several sub-folders in it and, if I initiate a send of a large email I can see it "in process" in the ACTIVE sub-folder (a .cf and a .df file, the .df is clearly the email). Does anyone know whether it is OK to just delete (or rename such items) or will this screw up AVG as it has some other control data secreted elsewhere.

The alternative might be to just leave the PC on but not connected to the Internet and MAYBE AVG will time-out the send after a few hours (I know it times-out if it is connected but can't reach the mail server it is trying to connect with). Does anyone know if this would work?

smudge101 09:33 17 Jul 2006

Hi Batch

Sounds like a bit of a pickle!

Your best bet will probably be to download a fresh install of AVG and then uninstall the old installation. Rename or delete any folders that are left behind and then do a fresh install.
If you renamed any folders and all is working ok then you can delete them.

Batch 09:34 17 Jul 2006

I realise that's a last port of call, but wanted to see if there was an easier way.

Batch 16:12 17 Jul 2006

From AVG forum have been advised that deleting the email from the QUEUE folder should do it - so I'll try to talk my bro through it (but remember, he was the guy that though an inkjet printer that could print on CDs would actually "print" the music etc. on to them).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?