'up to 8 Mbps' BB speeds

beeuuem 13:40 20 Jun 2006

I recently upgraded to the 'up to 8Mbps' Virgin BB.

As is to be expected the D/L speeds vary but the average over 6 weeks is 1.3Mbps. This has included 4 days at 240Kbps and a dizzy hour at 5236Kbps.

BT's own line test shows that the line is good for 6.5Mbps and up to 8Mbps. Indeed, if I were to throw the modem out of the window I could almost hit the local exchange.

On contacting Virgin I am told that an any 'up to 8Mbps' service BT will only accept a fault referral if the speed is consistently below 400Kbps. Virgin also advised that BT regard any service between 400Kbps and 2000Kbps being up to 8Mbps.

Is this the experience of other BB users?

Graham ® 13:53 20 Jun 2006

Try a speed test with the modem plugged into the inner socket of the main phone socket, thereby disconnecting all extension wiring. It does make a difference.

Dipso 13:54 20 Jun 2006

Unfortunately what they told you is correct. Presuming your sync speed is more than 2271Kbps, you can't raise a fault if you can achieve more than 400Kbps on downloading. Or if your sync speed drops below a fault threshold set during the training period.

You mention "throwing the modem out of the window", are you using a USB modem? It's just that they can limit the speed you can get.

medicine hat 13:54 20 Jun 2006

I would have thought that a service between 400k and 2000k was an "up to 2Meg" service, not up to 8Meg. Perhaps another chat with them is required.

Dipso 14:03 20 Jun 2006

Depends on the sync speed as the bottom table shows click here it should be between 200 to 2000Kbps for a sync up to 2271Kbps and 400 to 7150Kbps for a sync up to 8127Kbps

Snec 15:36 20 Jun 2006

Am I the only one but most sites, that I use regularly, are not significantly quicker now than when I was on half a meg. Having said that, I have always been satisfied with my connection in all respects.

I think these connection-speed-measurement facilities are more of a 'toys for the boys' thingy to mess about with rather than being any actual use.

My read-outs are always top whack but, in use, any difference from my 512 days are barely perceptable. When all is said and done the speed of downloading a site to our computers is controlled by the speed of the server it is coming from together with other traffic using the internet.

And there are other factors too but......

This 8Meg malarky is hype in the main, and certainly nothing to worry about. I certainly would not pay extra to have above 1Meg. I have it, but I did not ask for it. Yes, my readings are great. My *true* speed is pretty much the same as it has been for three years or so due to these other governing factors.

Anyway, why the rush?

iscanut 15:53 20 Jun 2006

I am with Eclipse, who rolled out an " up to 8Mbps" facility in May. My line has been "stabilised" at 6.6Mbps, but I very rarely get over 2Mbps, sometimes as low as 600 Mbps!! I have reported my low speeds to them, but nothing has changed!

beeuuem 17:49 20 Jun 2006

The speeds have been tested with and without A/V anfd firewalls, and from the master socket. The ring circuit has been disconnected, the 'phones use the filters to get ringing.

The Sync speed is 7456Kbps and the MTU etc. has been optimised. The driver for the modem -a Speedtouch 330- is supposed to be for 8Mb.

I would agree that generally the higher speeds are not noticeable unless you are D/L vast amounts of data. But it is irritating when these figures are quoted as if they are the norm that you can expect when, in fact, they are unlikely ever to be attained.

According to Virgin
"To give you an idea of the line speeds you could receive, here's what happened during our up to 8 Mbps tests:

9% of lines received speeds up to 2 Mbps.
16% of lines received speeds between 2 and 4 Mbps.
17% of lines received speeds between 4 and 6 Mbps.
58% of lines received speeds between 6 and 8 Mbps."

I'd love to know where those 58% live -it must be inside the exchange.

Gizmo2005 18:03 20 Jun 2006

I get 7.6 mbs, and we live 195 metres from the exchange (straight line distance) according to this web site click here , and I am VERY happy!!!!

Dipso 21:11 20 Jun 2006

The top speed attainable after overheads is supposed to be around 7150Kbps. What speedtest was that with?

interzone55 21:29 20 Jun 2006

8meg BB is really pushing the limits of the ageing copper wire that makes up most of our phone network. Due to the very high Signal to Noise ratio required for 8meg BB to work the speed that the end user experiences drops off quite severely as you move away from the exchange.

As users bandwidth increases, so does network contention, this means that as more people on your circuit spend longer online, the pipe fills up quite quickly, dropping everyone's bandwidth.

Without significant investment in new wires from the exchange to the end users I don't think we are ever going to get the service that most people expect, and investment of that kind will involve increased prices to the customers, and unfortunately no-one seems to be willing to pay for decent service anymore, we all expect to pay little or nothing for everything, which puts a stop to investment. Catch 22 I'm afraid

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?