8 GB USB Stick only showing 4 GB of memory

George5162 19:25 06 Mar 2008

I have an 8 GB intrgral USB stick and I used the HP Drive Key Boot Utility to make it bootable. Now Windows Explorer says that my USB stick has only 4 GB of memory. I have tried formatting the drive but the memory is still 4 GB. IS there a way to recover the missing 4 GB of memory?

acein1 19:35 06 Mar 2008

where did you buy it from? i think there is a fair chance that it is not 8gb and never was, there are so many of these on "ebay" and elswhere that are fakes

George5162 17:08 07 Mar 2008

I am sure that this was an 8GB memory stick because Windows Explorer showed that there was 8GB before I formatted it with the HP Drive Key Boot Utility so I think that the HP Drive Key Boot Utility was probably only designed for memory sticks up to 4GB.

Totally-braindead 17:21 07 Mar 2008

You might be right in your assumption.

I take it you tried the latest version of the software in case it has been updated? Mind you I had a look at the website and found no mention of the 4 gig limit.

There is a 4 gig limit in 32 bit systems and Windows 2000 is a 32 bit system, that places a 4 gig limit on RAM and this includes the memory on a memory card. So I think its this thats the problem. I think that windows thinks the pen drive is RAM and can only see 4 gig.

If my guess is right then the only idea I have is to try to see if you can create a partition so that you can have 2 x 4 gig units.

Totally-braindead 17:21 07 Mar 2008

ALternatively try emailing HP.

George5162 19:03 08 Mar 2008

How do I create a partition with 2 x 4 gig units?

Totally-braindead 19:19 08 Mar 2008

My pen drive is not that big but I think you can do it in Disk Management.
Right click My Computer and goto Manage and you'll see theres a section marked Disk Management.

I would wait till others answer as I have not tried this personally and am unsure as to whether it works ok and if it causes any problems.

I wouldn't want you to muck things up on my sayso is what I mean.

Theres quite a few programs that say they can do this but again I don't personally know which ones are any good.

T0SH 19:43 08 Mar 2008

If you used some HP utility to make the USB stick bootable then the files needed to do this will be hidden along with any other utilities like a bootable cutdown Linux OS maybe ? could explain where your other 4 gig went ?

Try running that HP utility again it may well offer you a removal method

Cheers HC

brundle 20:49 08 Mar 2008

When you formatted did you choose FAT32 or NTFS?

Peter 02:18 09 Mar 2008

If you have formatted as FAT32 there will be a single file size limit of just under 4GB, but you should still be able to see all of the 8GB. Partitioning to 2 x 4GB may be the answer. Also a previous question on this subject may help - see click here

Peter.

George5162 11:42 09 Mar 2008

I have checked Disk Management and the drive shows 3.68 GB formatted as FAT32 and 4.00 GB unallocated. How do I recover the unallocated space? Do I need to format the drive as NTFS?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?