750 TI Intermittent Black Screen, Possible Overclocking issue

caretsr 18:06 24 Mar 2015

So I recently upgraded my PC with a new graphics card, a Gigabyte Geforce GTX 750TI. Since then, I have had the following problem:

Intermittently, the display output cuts out. This always happens when windows is running, rarely happens on desktop or other graphically simple programs, and often when my computer is attempting to render 3D graphics. The display rarely cuts out for more than a few seconds, if it cuts out for longer I usually have to reboot my PC, but when it recovers the following error message is displayed in the bottom right corner of windows:

Display driver stopped responding and has recovered Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 347.88 stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

So, I've already tried a few fixes.

Firstly: I re-installed my graphics drivers completely, then ensured I had the latest updates. No change.

Secondly: I Googled the problem I've been having and the only results I could find that showed similar symptoms mentioned the issue being factory overclocking, so I looked into it and I believe my card is factory overclocked. I have attempted to disable this but I'm not sure I was successful, as I am unfamiliar with overclocking in general (I prefer not to overclock my PC if I have a choice), and there was no noticeable change to the issue.

Thirdly: The results I found when Googling the problem suggested changing several of the settings in NVIDIA control panel to off, which I have done, and which appears to have reduced the frequency of the issue by a small but noticeable amount.

Fourthly: I have checked the temperature of the graphics card while gaming to ensure it's not simply an overheating issue. The temperature has barely been above it's idle temperature when this happens.

So, does this look familiar to anyone and can you help? If it is an overclocking issue, can you explain in simple words how to fix it? If not, does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Nathan628426 18:26 24 Mar 2015

Have you tried the steps on this site? Also can you post your dxdiag report?

caretsr 18:56 24 Mar 2015

I've tried searching this site and haven't found anything relating to my problem.

dxdiag report

Nathan628426 19:39 24 Mar 2015

How about the steps here

caretsr 19:54 24 Mar 2015

Check for newer driver version or cleanly uninstall/re-install your drivers. Great description of how to do this here (full credit to DJNOOB for this). - Done this

If you have multiple 'GPU tools' like EVGA Precision and MSI Afterburner installed, consider that it is only advisable to have one tool such as this at any one time. - I have two, afterburner and OC guru, but I had the problem before I tried using either.

If the issue is only with a specific game, check for patches. - It isn't

If this is a new problem for you, have you just added any new hardware or updated/installed any new drivers? Consider rolling them back. - If the problem is with the graphics card itself I'll have to get it replaced, so I'd rather leave this one for if nothing else presents itself. Check temperatures. Its important you check these at load, which is generally when a TDR event will occur. Everest Ultimate Edition is a good tool for this, or OCCT's GPU stress test. If things are too hot, you can use tools such as EVGA Precision to increase GPU fan speeds on graphics cards. Cleaning your system of dust can help temperatures significantly. Common sense will normally tell you if something is too hot, but if you aren't sure, the information is generally available online. - Done this

Check that your RAM is running at the correct settings as defined by the manufacturer. - I don't know how to check this, but I think it is.

Remove any overclocks on your system and test with stock clocks. This includes memory, CPU and GPU (even factory OC'd cards). Best to try each separately so you can be sure if one solves the issue. - I haven't set any overclocks, although as I mentioned my graphics are apparantly factory overclocked. I've TRIED to remove this, but I don't think I did it right as I am unfamiliar with overclocking.

Attempt a CMOS reset to return all BIOS settings to default. This is a good hardware troubleshooting step as it also resets the IRQ assignments - you can normally reset the CMOS either through a jumper on the motherboard (see manual), or by disconnecting the mains power and taking out the motherboard battery for 5 minutes. You will likely need to go in to the BIOS after this reset to check the memory timings/voltages are correct, as these will not always do so automatically. - I'll try this one next.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?