Don't know if anyone else has this problem or not, but when I try to access internet sites, only about 1 in 4 open immediately. I normally receive the message 'The Page cannot be Displayed', but if I then repeatedly press F5 (update), the site eventually opens. I get the impression that my internet settings must be at fault, also because when I check my e-mail account (Outlook 2007), I often get a message saying that the server cannot be found. I have Vist Home Premium and IE7. Florio
Click Start. In the Start Search dialog box, type: cmd, and right-click cmd. Click Run as administrator. Type: netsh winsock reset, and then press the ENTER key. Type: Exit and press ENTER. Restart the computer
Or try right clicking local area connection on Taskbar and press repair.See if any DNS problems.Or Tools.Internet Options.Security.Reset all zones to default level.Apply Ok.Or possible Firewall problem.What Firewall do you have running.
I've followed your suggestions, brundle, but resetting the winsock values doesn't seem to have made much difference. I've also checked for DSN problems, buteman. At first I was told that there were some that couldn't be fixed, but when I ran a second check, everything resulted okay. My firewall, by the way, is Comodo Pro 3.0, but this problem with internet started a while before I installed Comodo. Since I use CCleaner and Advanced WindowsCare V2 Personal, I regularly delete temporary internet files. My ISP is Alice (I live in Italy). Hope this info helps someone to identify my problem. Florio
Only use this if DNS comes up with DNS cache could not be flushed.Open Command Promt.[Usually all programs.Accessories. Command Prompt.]Type in. ipconfig /flushdns Make sure there is a space between ipconfig and the forward slash or it will not work.If it works it should tell you that DNS cache has been flushed.You then have to reboot your computer .Or try Control Panel.Administrative tools.Services.Scroll down to DNS Client and make sure it is set to Automatic.
I had to go away for work for a couple of days, and just didn't have time to post to the forum. The problem still exists; I checked the Administrative tools (Control Panel), and the DNS client was/is set to Automatic. To answer Brundle's question, I have a wireless connection, ADSL, Netgear modem/router DGB111G. Since last posting, I have installed Vista SP1, doesn't seem to have made any difference. As I said before, I'm sure this has something to do with my internet or browser settings, but I'm a complete novice (even ignoramus!!) in this area. Florio