7 inch mini netbooks - any good?

kjrider 17:39 28 Jun 2010

I had a 7 inch mini netbook for a few days, before I sent it back, as it seemed to have problems loading pages on the internet.

Spec is basic, 300Mhz cpu, 2GB SSD, 128Mb ram, wincows CE OS. The USB ports are only for keyboards or mouse, and you cannot use a memory stick in it.

Has anyone else had a play with one of these, and what do you think?

I feel that I would like to have the next one that comes out with a bit higher spec.

KJR

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:53 28 Jun 2010

With that spec I'm not surprised it wouldn't load pages.

That drive would fill very quickly with temp web files

woodchip 19:30 28 Jun 2010

My first PC was a P60 60Mhz with 8meg ram a 1 gig drive, cost over a grand, Ati Graphics card with one meg ram. Picture used to scroll when using it

mgmcc 20:26 28 Jun 2010

I would strongly advise against a Netbook running Windows CE, which is the very basic operating system used in devices such as PDAs, Mobile Phones, Sat Navs etc.

Unless you're comfortable with Linux, I would suggest Windows XP as a minimum and preferably Windows 7 Starter.

Strawballs 22:52 28 Jun 2010

You can get netbooks with normal HDD's my sons Asus has 120gig HDD 512meg ram running XP Home nice little machine for what it's designed Oh yes built in wireless.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?