6mnth old laptop not starting up?

misty72 20:57 27 Feb 2009

Hi there,

my son was using his laptop and it was going slow so he turned it off, re-started it and it only goes as far as the desktop and completly freezes. Then this error message comes up, "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000006) click ok to terminate application"

Im no expert but i have tried running it in safe mode to do system restore but am unable to do that as it says there has been no restore points created.

It is still under guarantee so i will phone them tommorrow but was after some advice, could it be something he has done? Although he says he was only on msn and it started going slow!
Or is it a problem with the actual laptop!

Any advice would be great before i phone the company and be bamboozled with their knowledge of technology. Its an acer laptop and running windows vista.

tullie 21:03 27 Feb 2009

Did he turn it off properly?

misty72 21:08 27 Feb 2009

hi,
no he didnt because it had froze he had to switch it off at the power button.

hi,

hi,

misty72 21:09 27 Feb 2009

sorry dont know how that happened,lol.

canarieslover 21:24 27 Feb 2009

Sounds like he might have a virus or trojan installed. There are some good leads in this thread.click here Try in Safe Mode first to run your antivirus software and then download some of the other suggestions for malware and virus removal in that thread.

peter99co 21:27 27 Feb 2009

An Acer machine should have a built in recovery set-up. Have you checked the info which came with the machine?

misty72 21:33 27 Feb 2009

thanks for your respones,

canarieslover i will try that tommorrow.

peter99co i hadnt thought about looking at the info, again i will have a look tommorrow before i phone and make a fool of myself.

woodchip 22:06 27 Feb 2009

Warranty does not Cover Software Problems or Virus's

misty72 13:39 28 Feb 2009

i realise that woodchip.

Just going to try some of canaries ideas before i call them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?