64bit Processors?

AcidBurn7uk 20:31 01 Aug 2005

With the announcement of a beta version of longhorn (I hate the name vista) due out soon, I fugure it shouldn't be to long before the final version is released now. So time to start planning and sving for a new system. But I'm at a loss. Which 64bit processor to go for: intel or AMD?

I've always used AMD's and when I've bought them, they've always been cheaper than the Intel range, and reviews say then are actually a lot faster. However, I now want the lowdown on this as I plan to make this new system make a cray supercomputer look slow!

So, which is the better 64bit processor to go with: AMD or Intel?

The Spires 21:09 01 Aug 2005

I have had a 64 AMD 3200 for about a year, runs very well, no problems with stability, more stable than i am actually.

goonerbill © ® 22:38 01 Aug 2005

stick with AMD. i'm sure that i saw on microsofts website (was looking at the exchange winxp for winxp64 page) that the new version of windows (what ever the name) will not run on intel 64 systems.

AcidBurn7uk 10:28 03 Aug 2005

goonerbill © ® point taken!, and definitly something to look into. I'm thinking that I will stick with AMD purely for their overclocking abilities, but will this be neccesary (spelling?)

Has anybody here used intel64? What are they like in terms of stability on performance?

jack 14:00 03 Aug 2005

Research is the operative word here I think.
As an 'upgrade' option as opposed to a 'newbuild' the P4 series MoBo's will need lots of extras that are not publicised as I have found to my chagrin

seeclick here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?