64 bit XP ?

mbc 23:47 25 Mar 2007

Excuse my ignorance, but is there such a thing? I have installed Vista Premium 64 bit on my self built PC, and tried to set up a dual boot system with XP on a second drive to take stuff not compatible with Vista. Following the instructions in Vista does not work, ie loading XP while Vista is running and choosing the second drive as the istallation destination. I assume that this is because the XP I have is 32 bit. I'm prepared to buy a 64 bit version of XP if this will solve the problem, as it will still be cheaper than abandoning existing software to buy new. For example Roxio 8 will not run under Vista, AVG will not run under a 64 bit Vista etc.

Ashrich 00:09 26 Mar 2007

Set the second drive as a Master and disconnect the Vista drive temporarily , load XP on to the second drive , get everything you need on to it then reconnect the Vista drive . Reboot the PC and enter the bios , under Advanced ( although I am working from an Award bios here ) look at the top entry for choosing which hard drive you wish to boot from ( highlight and press page up or down to select ) press esc. twice then f10 and enter . This is NOT the section where you can choose to boot from CD or Floppy ect. , this is the section above that . You will now be able to choose which OS to boot into and will be able to see each hard drives files from the other in Windows Explorer .

Ashley

Totally-braindead 00:14 26 Mar 2007

There is a 64 bit XP click here but there a lot of things with no drivers for it so I don't see the point of it.

acxxxx 00:24 26 Mar 2007

Best guess is that you have installed xp to drive letter D:/E:/F: etc (your other drive)and the bios on start are only checking C: for operating systems

mbc 09:33 26 Mar 2007

Thanks guys, due in hospital today for major op, so will try these when I get out. Wish I had not bothered with 64bit, spur of the moment decision, be advised-stick to 32bit.

Icky 12:10 26 Mar 2007

Hope the operation goes OK mbc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017