64 Bit

S5W 19:37 31 Oct 2006

I am finally in the throes of replacing my old PC. What will be the advantage,if any of instaling Windows XP Pro.64 bit? I can't find anything else which requires it but I intend to keep the new computer for 4/5 years.

Jak_1 19:43 31 Oct 2006

I think you will find things will remain as they are for the timebeing, at least until intel sort out their 64 bit chip, they are having problems with it. As you say there is little written for the 64 bit os however the current 64 bit chips from AMD can utilise both the 64 bit os and the 32 bit os. I would stick with the 32 bit os at present, that way you will still be able to use all the proggies you have at present.

anskyber 19:43 31 Oct 2006

In that case wait for Vista (which is 64 bit compliant) or take advantage of one of the offers to upgrade to vista later.click here

malgall 19:55 31 Oct 2006

stick with xp
wait till after a year or so when not only
microsoft have sorted it out but the software
is vista ready

S5W 18:45 01 Nov 2006

Helpful as ever, I thank you for your advice and I suppose my requirements are amply met at present with the existing system so I will stay with what I know.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?