Is 60degrees to hot for my new cpu?

prodway 23:34 06 Jul 2004

Hi,after installing my new mboard(asrock k7s8xe+) and cpu(athlon 3200xp)my computer crashes whilst playing far cry,i look in bios whilst rebooting and my cpu temp is 60,Is this my problem?if so ill buy a new heatsink and fan,although i was told the hs&f i purchased with the cpu and mboard would work fine.my current fan is running at 5000rpm.Hope somone can help.

harps1h 23:58 06 Jul 2004

it would seem a bit high. what is the cooler a stock which come with the cpu or one you bought seperately?
it also helps if you use artic silver to help keep down the heat. it would seem that it is the heat on the cpu (mine runs at 43* and 49/50* under load)

prodway 00:01 07 Jul 2004

Im using heat transfer compound,and its a cooler that came with the cpu,Cheers,Paul.

hugh-265156 00:33 07 Jul 2004

60C is fine for an athlon if you just checked after the temps after doing a spot of gaming. some peoples run at 60C ish at idle so dont worry your fine. athlons are good up to 90C i believe so below that your fine if running intensive tasks. it all depends on your room temperature.

the cooler that came with the cpu is fine providing your not overclocking. if you are even thinking about this then yes you will need a better hs and fan.

try this, click: start/control panel/system/advanced/start up and recovery/settings and untick 'automatically restart' next time it crashes instead of a restart you will a blue screen with an error displayed, note this down exactly and look it up in the 'search(KB)' box click here or post it here.

also update windows click here and update all your drivers for graphics and sound cards and motherboard. get far cry patched also and see if that helps click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?