£6 on phoneline to support broadband

Migwell 00:41 21 Jun 2009

They say the government wants to put extra 50p per month or £6.00 pr year onto a BT phone line to support every one being able to get broadband.

Is that only BT lines, or is that Talktalk and Sky etc as well?

That to me is daylight robery. Dick Turpin was hung for theft, so what do we think should happen to those who thought this one up then?

This should get you all going EH.

Peter 00:55 21 Jun 2009

I thought I was already supporting the Broadband Infrastructure with my Broadband monthly subscription.

Peter.

Technotiger 07:58 21 Jun 2009

This is in the wrong Forum - should be in Speakers' Corner!

As a broadband user I have no objections to the £6 a year charge - but I feel sorry for the millions who don't even have a computer.

Mind you, with this poor excuse for a government, who knows what other Mistakes they have still to make - if members of the armed forces made as many Mistakes as this present lot at Westminster, Dad's Armys' Scotty would be correct "We are Doooomed, Dooomed I say."

laurie53 09:14 21 Jun 2009

It already is

click here

T I M B O 11:29 21 Jun 2009

Got to pay for those expensis somehow !!

Quiller. 11:53 21 Jun 2009

a month on your line rental or less than 2p a day isn't much to pay to bring the 21st century to rural communities.

anchor 12:04 21 Jun 2009

Where will it end?.

Will we have to pay a levy for improved transport services for rural areas, because local bus services find it uneconomic to provide a good service to villages?.

High speed internet is certainly NOT essential. Anyone with a telephone has internet access via dial-up; as many of us used until recent years.

Quiller. 12:15 21 Jun 2009

It cuts both ways.

Those in rural communities pay the same council tax but do not have the amenities or services on their doorstep. Towns and cities get the lion's share and rural communities get next to nothing.

They pay the same for water and sewage but all the investment goes to cities and towns.

They pay the same electricity charges but most upgrades to sub stations are in towns and cities.

It is a personal choice to live in the sticks but just for once it would be nice for them to benefit.

PS I am on 3Mb :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?