6 cartridges v 4

SIXTYONE 09:45 09 Mar 2005

Why the difference between a 6 cartridge and a 4 cartridge printer

FelixTCat 12:18 09 Mar 2005

6-colour cartridge printers are supposedly better for printing photos.

Stuartli 12:32 09 Mar 2005

The light cyan and megenta colours help to provide more delicate/accurate colour shades; you would notice the difference if printing the same pic file with a four and then a six cartridge printer.

SIXTYONE 14:53 09 Mar 2005

What are the colour cartridges that make up the 4 other than Black. I need an inkjet printer so am trying to decide which one and of course the cheapest. Would welcome suggestions.

Stuartli 16:44 09 Mar 2005

As I mentioned in my posting they are light cyan and magenta.

My best mate recently bought an Epson R200 for £61 from eBuyer on special offer (six cartridge type), which delivers some cracking photo prints.

A full set of six cartridges is normally around £45 but BigPockets and one or two other sources do a full set of compatibles for between £12.99 and £14.99; he's purchased three sets for when the original Epson cartridges run out.

The other advantage of separate cartridges, as I know very well from my nine-year-old Canon BJC6003 (four cartridges), is that you only need to replace or refill cartridges on an individual basis when they run out.

Lot cheaper too than the three-colour cartridge setup for some printers when you have to replace the whole cartridge even if only one colour is used up.

Stuartli 16:47 09 Mar 2005

Cheapest is not always best - you also have to weigh up the cost of replacement cartridges; often the cheapest printers are the heaviest users of this consumable and may well require the higher cost cartridges.

woodchip 18:21 09 Mar 2005

They have some lighter shades, so Skin colours etc print more like a real photo

JAN-BOY 21:27 09 Mar 2005

I use an Epson Photo R200 and am really happy with the quality of photo prints and as an all round printer also on the plus side is the running cost.

Buchan 35 21:57 09 Mar 2005

One thought, if you`re buying new look at the warranty. By using compatibles you could lose out

Happy Soul 22:04 09 Mar 2005

click here for compatibles. They state in their guarantee.

If I Buy A Cartridge From You Will It Void The Warranty On My Printer?
Most certainly not! Compatible replacement cartridges and supplies do not void the Printer Manufacturers Warranty. Should one of our products however cause damage to your printer, we will collect, inspect and repair / replace your printer free of charge.

Stuartli 08:54 10 Mar 2005

A very similar guarantee is provided by:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?