5.1 surround works in Control Panel but not in games

Adam Patrick 15:58 15 Aug 2011

Hi

I have Creative Inspire T6100 5.1 Speakers

and

Creative Labs SB X-FI Xtreme Audio 24-BIT PCI Sound Card

When I test speakers in Control Panel / Sound tab each speaker makes the noise to show it is working, but when I play games, only the front 2 work. These are fairly modern games like Elder Scrolls:Oblivion and X3 Reunion so would have thought they would be encoded with 5.1 surround sound.

If anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful.

Thanks

northumbria61 16:23 15 Aug 2011

You should check your settings via Control Panel - Sound - click on your speakers (White tick on green circle) then - Configure - make sure 5.1 is selected then click next to set up your speakers.

northumbria61 16:27 15 Aug 2011

Also play about with the settings - try changing to Quadrophonic - may not be perfect - but may just work.

Woolwell 16:31 15 Aug 2011

Is there a setting within the games' options?

Adam Patrick 18:15 15 Aug 2011

Thanks for the replies

Yes I made sure to go into configure and 5.1 is selected

I've also played a bit with settings like Quad and 7.1 with no improvement unfortunately.

Enabling "X-Fi CMSS-3D" in Soundblaster tab / Settings makes the rear speakers work but no Sub-Woofer or Centre, but an improvement over just the front 2.

Adam Patrick 18:57 15 Aug 2011

Correction

My mistake - seems now that I've enabled X-Fi CMSS-3D, all speakers are now working.

The description of X-Fi CMSS-3D is that it can turn a stereo sound into a surround sound. It might be synthetically done, so maybe not true 5.1 surround, but it does sound good, and works in Windows Media Player aswell !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)