5.1 surround sound woes!!

Gringo2005 19:40 16 Jan 2006

Bought a Philips 5.1 surround sound speaker set which came with a free sound card (quality!!)

Worked fine on my P4 3.2, Gigabyte board running XP Pro, however, I now have a problem!

Decided to re-load system, adding a second hard drive and basically to get a fresh build for smoother running.
NOW, when I instal the drivers, the system works fine but on reboot, windows will not run!
BIOS settings have not changed, I have tried the new driver from Philips......nothing works!

Any ideas guys?

Gringo2005 20:57 16 Jan 2006

bump

gudgulf 21:14 16 Jan 2006

Maybe a hardware conflict.

Try moving the soundcard to a different pci slot.

or

Enter the BIOS and look for the "Plug and Play Operating system" control.If it is set to No then try switching it to Yes (or vice versa).

Gringo2005 22:56 16 Jan 2006

thanks for response!
will give it a go and see what happens!

(bit short on pci slots tho!!)

:-)

Totally-braindead 01:24 17 Jan 2006

You mention that you added a second hard drive, suggest you temporarily disconnect it from power and then see what happens. It could be a power issue if this only occured since you installed the second drive. If that still doesn't work disconnect anything else that uses power you can and see what happens. Failing that I would suggest reinstalling all the drivers, starting with the motherboard drivers.

CurlyWhirly 01:37 17 Jan 2006

I had a similar problem click here

Would it by any chance be a Philips PSC724 sound card because if it is I would recommend you doing what I did and take it back for a full refund?

I have since purchased an Audigy ZS sound card which hasn't given me ANY problems and the sound is excellent especially in games.

Gringo2005 19:02 17 Jan 2006

Thanks for the link CurlyWhirly, had a good read!

I have the Philips PSC605

What I can't understand is that it was working fine on the old build, it's just since i wiped the drives and re installed everything!

I am gonna check out the ports and physically remove the card and re-install that too!

Wish me luck!!
:-)

CurlyWhirly 20:52 17 Jan 2006

Well I personally wouldn't touch another Philips sound card as long as I live.

I do wish you luck :0)

Gringo2005 23:33 17 Jan 2006

Well, your advice worked!
Took card out, disabled the game port and she's working perfectly again!

will keep with this card as i have a philips 5.1 surround speaker system and they seem to work well together

thanks guys for all the advice!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone