50/50 split drives on Toshiba satellite - how do I pinch space?

joodith 18:05 12 Aug 2014

Hi My 5 year old Toshiba Satellite has two hard drives: 1. C drive - stores everything, 117GB, almost full 2. E drive - apparently a "recovery drive", 113 GB, with 108GB free space.

Why Toshiba have done this ids anyone's guess; I can't save anything on the E drive - if I do, then delete from the C drive, to free up space, it deletes it off the E drive anyway. This is driving me nuts as I keep getting messages telling me my C drive is almost full, and no matter what I take off I never gain much. I've pared everything down to the bone, and still can't gain any space. Oh - almost forgot - it runs on Vista. Can I pinch some from the E drive? If so, how do I do it?

How can you tell, when buying a new computer, if the hard drive is partitioned? Surely it should be somewhere in the technical info.

Any advice please?

Thank you.

joodith 18:40 12 Aug 2014

Hi Jock1e Yes, it is slow at times. I do have an external drive and have shifted most of my music files, photos and documents on to it - in fact nearly everything, leaving a few bare bones, so to speak. This is why I cannot understand why I'm not gaining much in the way of space on the C drive. It doesn't make sense to me, but then I'm not a techie at all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?