5 button mouse problem!! Please help!

joelmb 02:12 07 Apr 2005

Hi all, I so hope someone can help here. I've just bought a Targus 5 button optical wireless mouse (Ref PAUM007) with 2 buttons, scroll wheel, and two side buttons for navigating explorer. I really like the mouse. However for some bizarre reason, in internet explorer for example, the side buttons are set as Left button moves web page forward, Right button moves web page back....

Common sense, and intuition rules this is the wrong way round! It's also opposite to my old MS intellimouse and I can't get used to it. The mouse came with software to customise buttons, but unbelievably there's no option to swap the left button to Web page back and right button to web page forward! I rang Targus tech support who weren't familiar with such a problem and just said that the way they are desiged, sorry, can't be changed.

I've now changed the driver of the mouse to MS intellimouse hoping that this might alter it but to no avail. I do however notice that the Targus configuration tab is still in the mouse properties dialog box despite having uninstalled the driver. I can't see how to remove this (possibly in registry somewhere?), in the hope that this might then make the intellimouse driver take over and correct the buttons.

I'm really happy with the mouse itself after much searching in a very limited market so would like to keep it. I've searched and downloaded a newest version of the Targus software driver which is the same version I had.

Please, does anyone know what I can do?

Trackrat 08:45 07 Apr 2005

open control panel / click mouse / click hardware / click properties / click driver / click uninstall.

Mikè 10:23 07 Apr 2005

Is there any option to assign a keystroke to the buttons?

joelmb 11:01 07 Apr 2005

Mike no there isn't.

@[email protected]!c 11:17 07 Apr 2005

joelmb, on the manual online (User's Guide for PAUM007, 5-button wireless mouse)
it states you can assign functions to the 3rd 4th and 5th buttons on the mouse to do what ever you want..regards akanic

SEASHANTY 11:23 07 Apr 2005

I have a 5 function TRUST optical mouse which I presume is similar to yours. It has an icon in the system tray. If I right click on this and select
properties it brings up a window allowing you to set options for all 5 functions. Your mouse should be similar to this.

joelmb 11:25 07 Apr 2005

akanic yeah thanks. unfortunately as I stated earlier you can indeed assign many several functions, but everything other than the ones I need i.e to swap the page back and page forward functions on the side buttons.

SEASHANTY 11:26 07 Apr 2005

By leaving your intellimouse driver in operation you will cause conflicts with your optical mouse.

joelmb 11:28 07 Apr 2005

seashanty, as i said to akanic, yes i know this. as i state, those options dont allow me to swap to the function i need. really daft design.

jbp1982 12:08 07 Apr 2005

Why not stick with what you know, I got one of those new MS Intellimouse Explorer 2.0's it has all I imagine you could ever need......from a mouse anyway! for £22 on PCWorld via [email protected] service.

click here

Another point, when installing mice it seems best to uninstall the old stuff, install the new drivers/software and then connect the mouse last.

HTH

jbp1982 12:14 07 Apr 2005

It does have the forward and back option for the side buttons. Just checked.

HTH

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?