5 1/4" Floppy Disks

TheAtheist 13:06 30 Jun 2008

A shot in the dark here and I'm sure I'll be laughed out of the forum but here it comes.

I retreived my old Commodore C128 computer from my mother's loft recently and I was wondering whether anyone knows of any company that still make the old 5 1/4 inch floppy disks that we used to use before the 'Big Bang'.

You can probably tell that I'm not as young as I used to be...

Sea Urchin 13:15 30 Jun 2008

The only place I know of is on eBay - a couple of likely candidates here

click here

click here

xania 13:16 30 Jun 2008

Surprised but click here

I'm pretty certain this is not just an out-dated web page.

Stuartli 13:20 30 Jun 2008

Highly unlikely that any manufacturer exists - most likely source would be a jumble or car boot sale.

Even then there's no guarantee that the condition would be good.

A search for 5 1/4" (13.34cms) floppies on Google or similar doesn't reveal any current manufacturers.

Stuartli 13:23 30 Jun 2008

It's a US website, so may well be current.

Last website dating is 1997-2007.

Terry Brown 13:46 30 Jun 2008

Try this page for help & advise.
click here
Terry

€dstowe 13:50 30 Jun 2008

I recall that NASA were advertising for these items some time ago. Apparently their software still uses this out of date stuff. (Also the computers controlling the space shuttle etc. is not much more advanced that a few Sinclair spectrum computers strung together.)

TheAtheist 14:49 30 Jun 2008

Thanks folks. special thanks Xania - this looks promising.

I can't believe that NASA would still be dependent on this format. Perhaps they should start using 3 1/2" diskettes. I've got loads of them from old Amiga magazines ;)

crosstrainer 15:26 30 Jun 2008

That sounds scary (if I were an astronaut) I have not seen one of these drives for years...Knowing that NASA use them in the shuttle is an eye opener...They were really prone to damage which is why the more solid 3.5 was invented, and how many of us build machines with those in now?

I only have one (and a cupboard full of old ones!)

Stuartli 00:29 01 Jul 2008

Seems it's still good enough to get multi-million pound space craft into orbit and back again....:-)

The real question is probably whether it is superior or inferior to the Russian equivalent?

Judging by those who still think Russian computing standards are way behind the rest of the world even after all these years.....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?