4 port USB hub - what to buy?

matthewowl 10:52 27 Dec 2006

I need more USB ports so was looking at 4 port hubs. Like all these things there is far too much choice. Prices seem to vary greatly so I was wondering if anyone could give me any pointers. I don't want to spend too much.

Thanks

Jackcoms 10:54 27 Dec 2006

If you're adding 4 more ports, make sure that you buy a powered hub.

matthewowl 11:04 27 Dec 2006

Thanks Jackcoms.
If I don't get a powered hub does that mean there is a risk of not enough power getting to the PC?

Jackcoms 11:34 27 Dec 2006

"If I don't get a powered hub does that mean there is a risk of not enough power getting to the PC"

No. It means there's a risk of not enough power getting to whatever you are going to be running from the 4 ports.

A 'normal' single USB port draws its power from the PC and will provide the hardware (scanner, printer, modem, etc, etc) with a max of 500Ma.

So, if you use an un-powered hub, you can effectively only provide each of the 4 items with 125Ma (500 divided by 4).

So, items like scanners, printers or modems which are power hungry will simply not have enough 'juice' to operate.

By using a powered hub, you will ensure that each of the 4 ports is able to provide the full 500Ma.

matthewowl 11:37 27 Dec 2006

Aha! Yes that makes perfect sense. Thanks Jackcoms.

Anyone got another other advice? Ta.

Jackcoms 12:20 27 Dec 2006

Have a look here click here IMHO you can't go far wrong with Belkin or Kensington.

Taff™ 12:48 27 Dec 2006

Slightly disagree with Jackcomms. A printer has it`s own power supply and some scanners too so these shouldn`t draw power from the USB port.

I use a 4 port (unpowered) USB hub on my laptop to which I attach Scanner, printer and external USB hard disk - all have their own power supply. In addition I use it to attach a USB memory stick. I don`t have any problems and this leaves my other 2 USB ports free for anything else. The 4 port hub came from Poundland but you can pick one up for less than £4 if you hunt around.

Taff™ 12:50 27 Dec 2006

Better add - I agree that a powered hub is better but note that in my setup the chances are that I`m not using all four ports at once anyway!

terryf 15:09 27 Dec 2006

I use a NEC Chipset 5 Port USB 2.0 Card, NEC Chipest USB PCI Card from click here, about £12.95 inc pp and works better for me than outboard usb hubs

terryf 15:10 27 Dec 2006

sorry that is supposed to be chipset but I copied from website and as is well known - website designers don't use spell checkers :-)

iscanut 18:53 27 Dec 2006

I use a belkin 4 port Tetra Hub. It is powered but it also reserves 12Mbps bandwidth for each port so that the is no sharing. A traditional 4 port hub would normally provide 12Mbps bandwidth to be shared by all the connected devices. Expensive at £30 or so but worth it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone