4 port USB Hub?

thospot 12:15 12 Mar 2006

I thought that buying a 4 port usb hub would be straight forward and uncomplicated but I find that there are questions that I can't answer.

Most of these hubs looks as though there is no cable attached to them to connect to the compter so do they just plug straight into the back of the computer or do I have to buy a cable for it..

Would I need a powered version and if so does this have to be connected to the mains..

Are they all backward compatible.

Why are the prices so different.

Are there any more things that I should know...

Thanks in anticipation....

Totally-braindead 12:43 12 Mar 2006

The prices are different because they are different manufacturers, Belkin for example may be four times the price but in general they are better quality and they also provide a lifetime guarantee I think.
If you buy any USB 2.0 hub then it is backwards compatible with USB 1.1. Same thing goes if you have USB 2.0 and buy a USB 1.1 hub, it will work but only at USB 1.1 speeds which are about a tenth of USB 2.0.
Powered hubs, it really depends on two things, how many USB devices you are using at the same time and how much power each of them use, ie are the devices powered from the USB or do they have there own power source.
I would buy a USB 2.0 hub, with a power supply, if you don't need the power supply then don't use it but its always there if you need it.
May I suggest something like this click here if you don't want a powered one click here

thospot 12:50 12 Mar 2006

Thanks a lot Totally-braindead. There is certainly a big reduction in the price on 7day shop and I will certainly buy the powered one but what about the connection to the computer? Would I need another cable?.

Totally-braindead 12:53 12 Mar 2006

No they come with the cable even tells you that in the descriptions.

woodchip 12:59 12 Mar 2006

Some plug strait into a usb port, no cable needed

thospot 13:07 12 Mar 2006

Well, Thanks very much for clearing all that up for me... I can now buy one knowing what I am doing.. Thanks to both of you....

bloo meeny 16:27 12 Mar 2006

Good prices, but bear in mind you have to add p&p at 7dayshop.
There will be powered hubs at £7.99 at click here from this Thursday (16th) Click on 'special buys'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017