4 core processor turned into 1 core? HELP

xOmniDevil 21:08 22 Mar 2015

Hi i'm having a problem with my PC and I've tryed everything there is and so far I've made it worst, I have a Intel i7 860 4 core processor 8 threads. I was looking at my sofware I use to check my cooling for my CPU, GPU, Motherboard, etc. and I see that at first I was running 4 cores and now Im running at 2 cores 4 threads. I went to msconfig and see if I can go back to 4 cores. At the time no matter what it just didnt work, So now what I did was moved it down to 1 core and see if it was working and then move it back where it was. So I did and I see now im only running at 1 core 1 thread and now when I want to go back it wont let me anymore... It suck at 1 core and then when I try to move it up it only gives me a option of only 1 core and no further. I did a System Restore from March 18, 2015 and today is March 22 2015, after that it still runs only at 1 core. I really need help because some of my games take up to 2 or even 4 cores and I cant play them because im stuck at 1.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:12 22 Mar 2015

Not sure how you have reduced it to 1 core with msconfig.

You would normally adjust cpu speed and cores in the BIOS.

xOmniDevil 21:15 22 Mar 2015

It wasn't going as planned when I tryed to fixed it so what i did was changed it to 1 core to see if it did any effect to it what so ever and it did, when I wanted to change it back it wouldn't let me at all

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:30 22 Mar 2015

Have you looked under Advanced settings in the BIOS?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:31 22 Mar 2015

Make and model of PC?

xOmniDevil 21:40 22 Mar 2015

Ill send you all of my PC info, -Intel i7 860 -Sapphire Radeon R9 280x -4gb RAM -MSI P55-GD80

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:59 22 Mar 2015

Go into BIOS and select default settings

save and exit (f10)

there is a guide to overclocking here I do not recommend as it can do a lot of damage if you do not know what your doing however it does show the various BIOS screens.

robin_x 06:20 23 Mar 2015

I have heard of someone who made their computer unbootable by changing msconfig Boot Tab/Advanced Options. At least you are not in that position.

Have you tried msconfig again by booting into Safe Mode?

Apart from that I can only suggest trying a Repair Install (In-place Upgrade) or Refresh if you are W8/8.1

Secret-Squirrel 08:34 23 Mar 2015

" I went to msconfig............."

That boot option only affects the number of cores used during Windows startup. It has no effect on the number of cores used during normal operation.

Go into Task Manager, click the "Performance" tab, take a screenshot, upload it somewhere and paste the link to it here.

xOmniDevil 09:37 23 Mar 2015

Its Fixed were all good I had to set my Processor and Ram to Default by unchecking the boxes xD Im back at running 4 cores 8 threads and 4gb of ram. Thx for all of the support!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?