4 BSOD's today, hardly any before that.

SereneJohnson 17:57 09 Jun 2014

I have no idea what to do.

I have a qosmio x770 running Windows 7 64bit. Ive had this laptop since October 2011.

In the last 24 hours it has BSOD' me 4 times, after a weird unresponsive but not BSOD 2 days ago that required a hard reset. Its never when I am doing anything important - in fact its only done it while on FB;it seems perfectly stable while playing TESO, which is quite literally the only other thing I do on here.

I have no idea what the error message on the BSOD says, Im usually too busy swearing at it but apparently I could have read it and found out what it means.

My NVIDIA GTX560M is up to date according to my GeForce experience panel (driver 337.88);
CPU is a Intel i7-2630QM @2.0GHz; 8.0GB RAM (7.98 usable); Currently typing this before I do my windows update restart. The "Windows experience" thingy rated it as 5.9??

Ive had this computer since October 2011. It went in for repairs for the very common overheat issue in Dec 2013, and I havent had any issues (other than the overheat-shutdown) before that, nor after until now. Until yesterday I had literally only ever had 4 BSODs so this is really worrying me.

I am running Kaspersky Internet Security and Antivirus, its currently doing an active scan but has not picked anything up.

Ive checked my programs list and there is nothing weird on it.

My 5yo did knock it off my lap the other day but it ran fine afterwards and has been dropped dozens of times before (it does have shock/jolt protection in it). I am inclined to think the weird crash and BSODs are related, but since the drop happened after this began happening I do not think its related.

Its currently NOT overheating and hasnt done so in quite a while, as I am using a cooling panel and its winter here.

I have no idea what to do about this.

I cant even work out how to attach a file here, but I have the minidump files on my desktop for you.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:30 09 Jun 2014

Error number from the BSOD will help

or Install BlueScreen View which will give good info as to the cause next time it does it.

SereneJohnson 02:44 13 Jun 2014

Sorry Ive been unwell now since the day after I posted this.

I installed BSV and checked them out, however I couldnt attach them on here to start with so kind of useless. All the errors have different numbers which tells me they are caused by different things, and all the crashes have been when using Chrome. I learned the other day that Chrome disabled a bunch of addons and people are bitching its made things unstable for them. Im wondering if its Chrome causing my issues. I hope not, but the issues started when the new Chrome build disabled my KAV addons. Im leaning towards this whole thing being caused by Google screwing people around.

The Original Dipso 17:28 14 Jun 2014

Without seeing the minidumps it's hard to say what the cause is but I had similar issues and after a long time, took me months to figure out, and expense, a new graphics card, Kaspersky turned out to be the culprit. It was something to do with the updater running IIRC.

Try removing KAV, even if only temporarily, use a free AV, such as Avast in the meantime and see if the BSOD's stop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?