Is 3gb of memory enough on my computer??

sirles1 21:30 27 Jun 2008

I have a k7n2g-ilsr motherboard currently on 1gb(2x512mb)ddr sdram ram of memory. I am not sure whether to upgrade my computer or not. My motherboard can take a total of 3gb ram but I'm not sure if that is enough for todays software. Most computers these days have 8gb memory(will we ever use that much?).
I use my computer mainly for downloading and burning music and films and may play the occassional games such as football and racing simulation!
Please help before I part my hard earned cash!

Technotiger 21:32 27 Jun 2008

I have never heard of any PC with 8Gb RAM. 3Gb is more than enough anyway!

[email protected] 21:53 27 Jun 2008

ample, if it's 32 bit operating system windows wont see much more. most modern motherboards are 64 bit and have up to 8 slots can usually take 8gb/ 16 gb max.
if you have 32 bit xp 2 gb is more than enough 3gb you will probably never use.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:56 27 Jun 2008

XP (32bit) will not see more than 3.5Gb.

[email protected] 22:00 27 Jun 2008

and those eagle eyed amongst you will notice i got my 4 and my 8 the wrong way round!

sirles1 22:03 27 Jun 2008

Thanks guys
I presume 64 bit is the windows xp operating software but would 3gb memory be ok for this in the future?
Also what is cas latency and how would i know what one I have on my motherboard(k7n2g-ilsr)?

[email protected] 22:06 27 Jun 2008

click here
why do ask? is it a self build or have you upgraded the ram?

[email protected] 22:10 27 Jun 2008

sorry, im playing wow! just read the thread fully. i would upgrade it with another 1 gb of ram, run scanner at click here it will give you options if the ram doesnt work you get money back.

[email protected] 22:15 27 Jun 2008

what problems are you having (if any) when you say todays software what do you mean games? office? need to know a little more really, also what graphics, operating system and i suppose you're using the on board graphics?

sirles1 22:22 27 Jun 2008

I built the machine myself 7 years ago but just lately I am now getting memory exception dialog.
Only last week, I had to clean my machine because i had a riskware i could not get rid of however I took the oppertunity of having a look to see how much my memory I was using with hardly any of the software I normally use on my machine and I was staggered to see I was using 41% but most of the software is spyware and anti virus programmes.

[email protected] 22:24 27 Jun 2008

well if it's just a performance increase, follow my 2210 thread. what security software are you running ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires