3G dongle to router

ruskle 19:33 20 Mar 2010

I have a wifi router/modem which works well enough but my broadband will be off for two to three weeks while I move home.
I also have a 3G usb dongle to use with my laptop when I am away from home.

Is there a way to plug the dongle into my router and beam the signal to two computers in my new home while I am waiting for the line to be activated? I don't want to have to buy another dongle for the other laptop which my wife may be using at the same time as me.

Ruskle.

mgmcc 23:31 20 Mar 2010

Unfortunately you cannot use a conventional Modem/Router with your 3G USB dongle.

What you can do is to have one computer online via the dongle, connect the two Laptops (either with a *crossover* ethernet cable or in an Ad Hoc wireless network) and enable "Internet Connection Sharing" on the 3G connection. The second Laptop would then have internet access provided the "host" Laptop was running and online.

I've written tutorials on setting up an Ad Hoc wireless network with Vista click here and XP click here

Bear in mind that performance with two computers connecting simultaneously via a 3G service isn't going to be very spectacular. ;)

blink2gb 02:44 26 Mar 2010

You need a Netgear 3G Mobile Broadband Wireless Router, which will allow wireless 802.11g

& Wired Internet access via the 3G broadband dongle

click here

mgmcc 07:56 26 Mar 2010

If on the "Three" 3G network, they now have their own WiFi modem/router which is completely portable click here

ruskle 20:46 26 Mar 2010

Thanks for the replies.

We don't normally have a problem with dual connection as I have Cable and Wireless modem router which we can both access.
It was just for the duration of the move that we needed to connect via 3G dongle.
We agreed to share the dongle and it has worked out Ok, the line is now once again broadband enabled so we are now both independant of the other.

Thanks again,
Ruskle.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone