3G Data Card or Dongle?

1936 17:20 10 Jun 2009

I go down to Blue Anchor Bay in Somerset from Oxfordshire about 20 weeks a year and take my Laptop and a Vodafone 3 G Data Card so that I can pick up my E-Mails. The signal is atrocious and I often have to attempt to log on a dozen times before I get a connection and even then I can lose it.
I have just got my bill for the time I spent down there in May and it’s very high. Having attempted to find out if Vodafone have hiked their charges by telephone I had to give up before I blew a gasket so I sent an E-Mail asking for their comments but I'm not holding my breath for an answer.
So, does anyone have a suggestion as to what I could use such as a Dongle.
Above all I'm looking for a cost effective solution.
While I’m at it I asked someone how I could check if my Laptop had WI-FI and did as they sugested and found the following and I'm not sure what they mean:

BT Yahoo! Broadband WAN Miniport (PPPOE) Dial-Up

3G Prefered Connection Agere Systems AC 97 Modem LAN or High-Speed Internet

My E-Mail Address Agere Systems AC 97 Modem

Local Area Connection Network Cable Unplugged SIS 900-Based PCI Fast Ether

mgmcc 18:50 10 Jun 2009

If your Laptop has a Wireless Network Adapter installed, it will be shown in the Network Connections folder ("Start > Run", type NCPA.CPL and click OK) as a "Wireless Network Connection".

I have a pay-as-you-go USB "Mobile Broadband" dongle on the "3" network, which might work out less expensive than your current arrangement:

- A £10 voucher is valid for 30 days and allows the transfer of 1 Gigabyte of data.

- A £15 voucher is valid for 30 days and allows the transfer of 3 Gigabytes of data.

- A £25 voucher is valid for 30 days and allows the transfer of 7 Gigabytes of data.

Unfortunately, there is no roll-over of unused data, it expires after the 30 day period.

1936 19:25 10 Jun 2009

I typed in what you said and the following showed:

BT Yahoo! Broadband WAN Miniport (PPPOE) Dial-Up

3G Preferred Connection Agere Systems AC 97 Modem LAN or High-Speed Internet

My E-Mail Address Agere Systems AC 97 Modem

Local Area Connection Network Cable Unplugged SIS 900-Based PCI Fast Ether

Is one of them a WI-FI connection and if not what should I do next?

mgmcc 20:50 10 Jun 2009

Your network connections are:

1) Your BT Yahoo! broadband connection (presumably a USB ADSL Modem?).

2) Your Vodafone 3G internet connection.

3) A "wired" ethernet connection which is currently not connected to anything.

There is no "Wireless Network Connection" listed. If you want to implement WiFi, this is most easily done by plugging in a USB Wireless Network Adapter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?