3com router connection to wireless laptop

letkey 21:59 24 Jun 2007

I've got a 3com office connect ASDL 11g firewall router which is successfully set up on my pc. I've also got keys which allow two (no wireless enabled) laptops, a pc and a psp to access the internet via the router. HOWEVER my son has just bought a wireless laptop which can see my router (i've set up the mac address to allow it access) but won't allow him to connect. we've put one of the keys in and he can access the internet via this. Why won't the wireless work? Any ideas, we are getting desperate especially as my son has spent a year saving up to buy the laptop!!!!

ArrGee 09:27 25 Jun 2007

Have you tried connecting to a different wireless connection, e.g. in a wireless hotspot (coffee shop, pub, etc)?

FreeCell 18:29 25 Jun 2007

Does the new laptop wireless work with WEP security set or if wireless security on router is, temporarily, disabled?

What make/model is laptop and what O/S?

woodchip 23:04 26 Jun 2007

You need to go into 3Com Setup Page, type admin in the box press enter. Then go to Wireless settings on the left side You need to write down the SSID and password and user that you intend to use. Do not try to setup encryption at this time, get it to work first. The above settings have o be entered into the Wireless Software on the Laptop for it to work. You may also need to reboot the Router by pressing the off button at the back of the router

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?