3com officeconnect ADSL router and AOL

bluemezz 17:58 04 Jan 2006

Hi
I am trying to use the above router with AOL, I have configured as AOL advise but I am getting the messsage "Attempt 1) [Router] DNS server unreachable or unavailable (24-01-08-033)" from AOL
It asks me to check firewall etc which I have done, all AOL apps have "Full access"
Anyone any ideas?
AOL settings are: PPPoA, VPI = 0, VCI = 38, usernamre and password and AOL screenname with @aol.com at the end and your usual password.
I've spent most of my Xmas break trying to sort this - any help would be gratefully received. Thanks

bluemezz 22:19 04 Jan 2006

I have changed the MTU to 1400 too, but that hasn't helped.

drijw 17:31 07 Jan 2006

Had same problem this afternoon. Will investigate and post if I find a solution.

woodchip 17:36 07 Jan 2006

Have you tried Windows set to Auto DNS and set router to same

bluemezz 21:44 09 Jan 2006

Hi Woodchip - yes Auto DNS set on both.
Hi Drijw - any luck?
I'm so fed up, I'm thinking of changing my internet provider! AOL are most unhelpful online - and expensive to contact by phone.

woodchip 21:54 09 Jan 2006

Have you updated to the latest Firmware for the router. go to 3Com and get the latest. After downloading you have to run Setup page and install from System Tools\Upgrade then point it to the download

drijw 21:38 11 Jan 2006

Hi bluemezz
Don't give up it worked for me! The settings you have look ok. To use AOL from your computer you need to create a screen name exclusively for your router to log in with but you can test if it is working before doing that. You must set MTU to 1400 and have the @aol.com after the username as you said. Disable windows firewall temporarily. With the router on fire up IE and see if it will find google. At this point the connection to the internet should be made. If this does work you have cracked it. To get AOL working use a different screenname from the one the router is using. Go into settings at the login prompt and edit the location to make sure that it uses tcp/ip rather than a broadband modem (it isn't called tcp/ip in aol speak - some other ref to broadband, not a modem - sorry a bit vague). After that you should be able to login at the computer through AOL.
Hope this helps. It DOES work. This was a basic AOL account (not mine) and a 3com officeconnect router fresh from the box.. Good luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?