35mm slide scanning

steffano 22:07 04 Jan 2007

Happy New year to all. I have about 100 35mm colour slides of my military service time in the Far East. I dont want to have to buy a scanner of some description because I will never get another conventional 35mm camera. Does anyone know if there is a UK company(s) who scan at reasonable prices?

fitshase 22:21 04 Jan 2007

What about buying a flatbed scanner which has a film/slide scanner capability. This way, once you've finished scanning the slides, you have a fully functional scanner for your computer for scanning documents, photos, etc.

eg:-

click here

click here

fitshase 22:23 04 Jan 2007

Forgot to mention, with 100 slides you will be looking at about £1 per slide for a company to scan and put on a CD for you. With one of the flatbed scanners above, you can pay about £50-£60 for the scanner, scan them yourself and still have a scanner left at the end of it (and £50 in your pocket).

bluto1 22:27 04 Jan 2007

I`ve e-mailed a friend of mine who might know the answer, but surely most of the general developers, like Truprint would do the job?
My friend did some for me so if you`re not in too much of a hurry he might make the offer, and it won`t cost an arm and a leg.

Stuartli 00:25 05 Jan 2007

Another way is to project your slides onto a screen and photograph them with a digital camera.

Should be good enough for most purposes.

jon2 10:53 05 Jan 2007

I would be happy to scan your Negs for you, if you wish, I am also a ex Hong Kong soldier

steffano 21:25 05 Jan 2007

May I thank everybody who responded - I do appreciate the time and trouble it put you to. I should have mentioned that I have what I consider to be a brilliant flatbed scanner/copier/printer. Under the circumstances I dont really want another scanner and I`m not certain about projecting and taking photo`s - firstly I dont have a projector or screen. I think I would botch it all up anyway. I will come back if I have further problems

Fingees 22:52 05 Jan 2007

I use a slide projector, and a piece of white A4 paper in the bottom of a box laid on it's side.

I generally photograph the nice bright image either with my digital cmera, or if a sequence, a cine camera.

It's usually a better result than the Slow, one at a time process of my flatbed scanner.
a dedicated scanner is too expensive at over £100 for the few slides I want to copy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?