32fat disk help

paigey 02:00 25 Feb 2004

I have an pc given me and has windows 98 but when checking the system it shows no fat disk has been done, if i run the fat 32 disk will i lose all my data ie photo documents e-mails ect.. can you please advise me. as do need to crete more space on my hard drive.

I also have problems when on line the disk clean up keeps on poping up and having to do that upto three time an hour.

hope u can help me please
paigey

temp003 02:31 25 Feb 2004

Don't understand your question. When you say "checking the system it shows no fat disk has been done", what check were you doing and what is the result of the check?

If your Windows 98 is installed on the hard disk and you're using it, then it has already been formatted with the FAT32 file system.

If you reformat it, yes, you will lose everything on the hard disk.

If you're running out of hard disk space, yes you can clean up certain things on your computer but that's not going to give you a lot. Might be time to get a second hard disk and add it as slave.

In My Computer, what does it say about your C drive in terms of capacity, used space and free space?

temp003 02:34 25 Feb 2004

Or do you mean that there is hard disk space (partitioned or unpartitioned) on the hard disk which has not been formatted?

paigey 08:58 25 Feb 2004

Hi sorry my qyetion was not clear it says unpartitioned i found this out when i went to my computer and then to properties and thats were i found that the disk had no fat disk

temp003 10:58 25 Feb 2004

Please be patient with me as I'm still at a loss.

You have been given a PC. This PC has Windows 98 installed on it. This is the PC you are talking about? And you have not moved any hard disk, right?

You load Windows 98 on this PC. In Windows 98, somewhere you see either unpartitioned space or "no fat disk"? I'm not aware that Windows 98 can show either of this information.

Can you describe, in details, what icons/buttons/selections you click or make, and then the exact message you see which makes you think that you have unpartitioned space or "no fat disk"?

temp003 11:02 25 Feb 2004

Or, to cut through all of this, in Windows 98, click Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Information.

On the left, expand Components. Underneath Components, highlight Storage.

At the top, click File, Export. Then save it as a text file and call it storage.txt and save it inside My Documents.

Go to My Documents, double click storage.txt and then copy and paste the text here for us to see.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?