320GB drive only showing 132GB

howard64 17:48 09 Mar 2007

Brand new Western Digital sata 2 drive cannot get it to set up for the 320GB. I have used data lifeguard for dos from Western and can set up as 3 partitions. When I try to install windows xp it can only see and use the drive as a 132Gb. When I use data lifeguard for windows it stops with a message that the drive has a DDO and to use data lifeguard for dos to remove it. That does not seem to do anything. I am now stuck with a drive I cannot use properly. Your help would be appreciated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:00 09 Mar 2007

Shows 137G not 160G or Higher
In Windows, click on Start->Run, enter "regedit".
# Navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Parameters registry subkey.
# From the Edit menu, select New, DWORD Value.
# Enter the name EnableBigLba, then press Enter.
# Double-click the new value, set it to 1, then click OK.
# Close the registry editor.
# Restart the machine for the change to take effect.

This should not be required if XP SP2 is installed.

woodchip 18:21 09 Mar 2007

It is a NTFS limit. Why not use Acronis Disc Director to create the NTFS partion. It will create one that XP will see

howard64 19:04 09 Mar 2007

this is a new drive in a new pc with nothing on it yet. once you install windows you cannot then change the size of hard drive unless you use a partition manager which I would rather not do. There must be a way to set it up but western do not seem to have tools to do it.

keith-236785 21:17 09 Mar 2007

i would suggest that Fruit Bat /\0/\ has got it right with the SP2 bit, install windows on the drive and then install SP2, that "normally" overcomes the partition size restriction and allows the full drive to be recognised.

also check the back of the drive for a jumper on the drive size pins, some drives have a jumper setting to restrict the partition size to 132 gig (ish)

alternatively, you could resort to good old DOS and set up multiple partitions that way.

Ranish partition manager is pretty good and once you had setup the drive you could uninstall the ranish, no need to keep it there, in fact you could if you wanted re-format all the drives and start from scratch....

howard64 20:33 11 Mar 2007

I have loaded xp pro and sp2 and done as suggested by Fruit Bat /\0/\. The hard drive is shown an 132gb and there does not appear to be anyway of altering it.

howard64 20:41 11 Mar 2007

I have now been into disk management and seen the unformatted section and made it an extended partition. Now it is a logical drive and I have formatted it. Thanks for your help.

keith-236785 20:32 12 Mar 2007

i still think this could be due to the jumper being on the pins at the back of the drive, but as you seem to be happy with your setup then thats fine.

happy computing.

howard64 19:57 13 Mar 2007

paperman27 there is no pin on the back of this drive to restrict to 132GB. I had one such drive a couple of years back for a much lower amount and once this pin was jumpered nothing in software could get it to go beyond the figure.

keith-236785 20:12 13 Mar 2007

ok, well it may be then that the windows you are installing is causing the bottleneck, if it is windows 98se or windows XP without service pack then i can understand it, service pack2 addressed the issue of the larger drives being recognised ok,

so with all that seemingly ok it must be something to do with the norton goback that is causing the problems.

good luck

Eargasm 18:09 14 Mar 2007

I had the same problem last week trying to format and install a new 320gb sata2 hdd, only 127gb was showing.
It turns out that the xp disc i was using had no service packs on it, so i created a new xp disk with sp2 slipstreamed into it and it worked a treat the full 320gb drive was recognised. Its easy to create using autostreamer.
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?