Is 300Watt power supply enough

23790954 16:08 06 Aug 2006

Tomorrow I am taking delivery of a new Gigabyte K8N sli, socket 939 motherboard, to upgrade my system. My sytem is built in a Desktop case, which I favour,as when placing my TFT monitor on top of it, it does not take up much room. However it is only fitted with a 300Watt power supply, and having contacted numerous power supply dealers, I find I cannot get a more powerful one of the size required. Desktop power supplies are about 1 inch lolwer than normal tower, mini tower supplies. Normal power supplies will not fit a desktop.
With this power supply fitted to my Gigabyte K8N sli motherboard, my system will consist of:
1 x DVD Rom; 1 x DVD Writer; 1 x floppy drive;
1 x 80 gig SATA 11 Hard drive; 1 x CPU Fan;
2 x case fans; and connected to the system will be 1 x Canon inkjet printer; 1 x Canon flatbed
scanner; 1 x Broadband modem.
Can anyone inform me whether or not a 300Watt power supply will suffice for this system, and in what way will the system become unstable if the 300W is not powerful enough, or is there anything I could do to improve the power.
ALSO I can either install an INTERNAL Broadband modem, or an EXTERNAL broadband modem. Which one would use less power.
Many thanks to all who offer their help in this matter. Silver Surfer.

bremner 16:10 06 Aug 2006

You have not said what your graphics card is - but in any event, IMHO in this day and age you should be looking for a PSU approaching 500W rather than 300w.

SG Atlantis® 16:14 06 Aug 2006

Mine is 350w

I'm running:

2 dvd writer drives
2 sata hard disks
internal card reader
nvidia 6200 256mb graphics.
althon 64 3700.
Internal modem.
attached to computer is printer, fingerprint reader and broadband modem

As long as it's a good PSU that outputs what it says you'll be fine.

which graphics card will be used?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:21 06 Aug 2006

Power supply calculator click here

jimv7 16:21 06 Aug 2006

From the specs of the motherboard.....

Power connectors: standard ATX 2.2 (24 pins) and 4-pin ATX12V to power a processor

a 300w psu will not be enough.

jimv7 16:22 06 Aug 2006

click here

for the full specs.

Stuartli 16:39 06 Aug 2006

If you have a high quality PSU you may well get away with it (unfortunately you don't state your graphics card).

I ran a system very similar to yours until last year and, when I got an nVidia graphics card after the failure of the original, discovered it needed a minimum of a 300w PSU and preferably 350w.

It was working OK but I thought I only had an Enermax 230w or so PSU, so had a look at its output chart.

To my surprise it was only the 100w model...:-)

Yet, because of the quality of the unit, it had powered everything without anything unusual being noticed.

Ironically it came with a Midi case costing just £26 back in 1999.

Quiet Life 16:42 06 Aug 2006

HP in fairly high spec machines with two hard drives , two DVD roms, 1gb memory. TV/ FM radio card, card readers,wireless LAN,ATI radeon 1300 graphics card only fit a 300watt power supply. They sell thousands of these machines and as SG Atlantis state you should have no problems with a good PSU. An external broad band modem would have its own power supply.

SG Atlantis® 16:49 06 Aug 2006

Quiet Life, mine is a Compaq made by HP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?