"3" operating systems appear on my hard drive

AllZwell 15:39 03 Oct 2006

I have tried to install operating system on External Hard drive (Seagsate 250 Gig) but won't have it (after several tries). However, when I boot up, I get this screen (taken with my cam)>>>[URL=click here][IMG]click here[/IMG][/URL]

""""Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Microsoft Windows XP Professional (C Drive)

Use the down arrow to select..... (etc)""""

The bottum one of the 3 is C drive, and works fine - no prob, but I've got to press the arrow down each time to select it, as it defaults to first one - with hasn't actually got an operating sytem on it at all (as such) nor the second one. I've tried doing something with the Windows CD XP pro disk (delating partitions etc) but the above still seem to be there. could these two have gone on my C drive?

Anthony

Zeppelyn 16:07 03 Oct 2006

Go to Start-Run and input msconfig and press enter. Click on Boot.ini tab and click the button marked "Check all boot paths" and you should be given the option to delete them.

Alternatively navigate to C:\boot.ini and delete the lines for the ones you dont want. You might have to remove the read only tick on this file in properties.

Install to external disk is not supported by XP, ypu would need to rewrite ceratain usb files for it to work.

AllZwell 17:17 03 Oct 2006

Thanks Zeppelyn all fixed now:)

I was initially given a link to microsoft:click here And:click here

But they seemed a bit long winded, and also when I got into dos mode, i couldn't enter a command with out "invalid" coming up like "BootCFG /Delete /?" etc

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?