3 Networked PC's Problem

mikeyewz 21:22 07 Aug 2007

Hi,
I have 3 PC's networked together (wired) via a D-Link DSL-G604T router. All are Windows XP. I can access the internet OK on all 3. I have named the computers #1, #2 and #3.
#3 can access #1 and #2.
#2 can access #3.
#1 can access #3, but #1 and #2 cannot access each other. When I first set up all 3, every one of the 3 could access each other, and all worked perfectly, but for some reason a problem has developed. When I try to ping #1 to itself, I get a 'request timed out', and the same with #2. #3 is OK.
Any idea what the problem could be.
Thanks, Mike.

mgmcc 07:38 08 Aug 2007

Have you checked that any firewall settings are still OK, particularly if you have specified IP addresses which the router's DHCP server may have changed?

To save a lot of hassle, it might help to use "IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol". This doesn't need configuring with IP addresses and so on like TCP/IP and isn't affected by firewalls. However, for internet access, TCP/IP is still required. To use IPX/SPX for Local Area Network connections, it must be installed in each computer in the network.

To install "IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol" in Windows XP, go into the Network Connections folder, right click the Local Area Connection and select Properties. In the General tab, click the Install button. In the next box, highlight Protocol and click Add. Select "NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol" and click OK.

mikeyewz 13:56 08 Aug 2007

I tried to run the PC's with and without firewalls, but no difference. The IPX/SPX.... suggestion is worth looking into and I may give it a try.
Thanks very much.

mikeyewz 22:34 04 Sep 2007

I installed "IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol" and it worked a treat!! Thanks very much!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?