3 moblie dongle

immer 10:26 27 Jul 2010

I got a 3mobile dongle for the internet when away from home. I hve tried it from Berwick on tweed to Evesham, east anglia and sussex. The reception in many places was non existant and the best was in Ipswith, but on the whole its most dissapointing. More over I can recieve email from my freeuk account but have never yet managed to send an email when away with this method. I found their instructions unhelpful & spoke on several occasions at expence to asiatic advisors who were well intentioned but were as useless as Martions! Does anyone else know how to get the *@%**! thing to work please or have experience with this?

gengiscant 10:31 27 Jul 2010

I know nothing of 3 dongles or any other dongle for that matter but would it not be simpler to visit one of their stores? You must have past one between Berwick upon Tweed and Evesham.
I sure they would be better at explaining and setting up your dongle for you..

sunnystaines 10:35 27 Jul 2010

check their web it will tell you the signal strength in the area you want to use it.

i have found "3" very good

Roger Evens 11:17 27 Jul 2010

Me too, "3" dongle is slow but reliable and excellent value. I've used mine caravanning from Plymouth to Glencoe thid spring.

Roger Evens 11:18 27 Jul 2010

This spring!

mgmcc 11:36 27 Jul 2010

>>> More over I can receive email from my freeuk
>>> account but have never yet managed to send an
>>> email when away with this method.

To send mail via your "3" mobile broadband, you need to change the SMTP (outgoing mail) server from your Freeuk one to Three's one:

smtp-mbb.three.co.uk

immer 14:59 27 Jul 2010

Thanks for the constructive observations. You point to my exact problem: my outgoing
"smpt-mmb.three.co.uk" as directed in the firms blerb does not work for me. I have endevoured to engage in CONSTRUCTIVE diolog as I said. (Got it from a Currys shop.) I have come to you as a last ditch attempt to get some common sence...

immer 15:00 27 Jul 2010

Thanks for the constructive observations. You point to my exact problem: my outgoing
"smpt-mmb.three.co.uk" as directed in the firms blerb does not work for me. I have endevoured to engage in CONSTRUCTIVE diolog as I said. (Got it from a Currys shop.) I have come to you as a last ditch attempt to get some common sence...

woodchip 15:06 27 Jul 2010

My Daughter as T-Mobil Seems to work all over. But if you are WiFi why not connect to McDonalds Free BB Hotspot

immer 15:22 27 Jul 2010

If you had a middle bit like mine you would understand why I try to avoid McDonalds....but thanks and yes I have from time to time & others similar...but thats not the problem in hand. I even tried on top of the Yorkshire Moors ...no signal !
The question is why the SMTP isn't working for me, and does it work for others, and what am I doing thats different or misconfigured or what etc etc.
?//???

mimosa418 15:38 27 Jul 2010

Been using three dongle all over UK for a couple of years without difficulty. Regards you email. as well as the smtp setting provided by mgmcc you have to make changes to port setting. Follow the advice here. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone