3 Computers. 1 Causes disconnections.

littlebear23 18:52 27 May 2008

Hello everyone! I'm having some trouble resolving an internet connection issue with one of my computers at home. We have 3 computers, 2 of which connect via wirelesses, where the other computer has a physical connection to the router. It is the computer with the physical connection that has the problem.

My ISP is Tiscali, and I started to have disconnections around this time last year. I have contacted Tiscali, and the only 'solution' they would provide would be those which are only suitable for the routers they sell. I have also contacted Netgear, who were more helpful but it didn't solve anything, though I have not contacted BT to check the phoneline yet.

The computers all have a different, static IP address, so I can't imagine there being a conflict between addresses. I have also tried connecting to the internet with the other two computers switched off and the problem still remains - furthermore. . when the computer is switched on without *any* connection to the router, the internet stills knocks itself off. Is there an explanation for that?

I have also replaced the motherboard which is what the RJ45 cable connects to (there's a socket built on-board), and I have purchased a new network card as an alternative connection output too, yet this didn't solve the problem either. Previously I had an Ozenda router and I replaced it with a "Netgear DG834G 54Mbps Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Firewall Router with 4-port 10/100 switch" but neither did this fix it.

The disconnection is not instant however, the computer stays connected for approx. 20minutes, and then the connection drops. It will re-connect again for a further 5minutes afterwards and I have noticed that the 'Downstream Connection Speed' drops by between 200-800 kbps. Once it disconnects for a third time, I sometimes have to wait for a further 2 hours before I can use the internet again.

I don't particularly want to buy a new computer, though I will in the future if it's not been pushed out the window by then - I'd be grateful for any further suggestions. Thank you for reading :).

ambra4 19:29 27 May 2008

“When the computer is switched on without *any* connection to the router”

Are you saying that even if there is no Ethernet cable connected from the router to pc you lose the connection?

“The disconnection is not instant however, the computer stays connected for approx. 20minutes, and then the connection drops”

Are computers all running XP?
click here

Check the Lan card and network setting on all computers also the router set up

If a Vista computer Disable IPv6 In Vista

Windows Vista contains both the familiar IPv4 stack and the new IPv6 stack.

IPv6, when it's rolled out across the Internet over the next few years, will bring an end to

the problem of running out of IP addresses and improve other aspects of TCP/IP

operation.

However you do not need IPv6 at present time disable IPv6 in Vista

Download the pdf file will tell you how to disable IPv6 in Vista

click here

littlebear23 20:18 27 May 2008

Thank you for the response ambra4 and yes, all 3 computers are running XP.

"Are you saying that even if there is no Ethernet cable connected from the router to pc you lose the connection?"

Yes. It seems counter-intuitive but I'm sure there's a reason as to why this happens. It's strange. :)

"Check the Lan card and network setting on all computers also the router set up"

The network settings seem OK - I've followed instructions provided, and given the correct settings from both Tiscali and Netgear to no avail.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?