3 computer 3 printers a printer problem

Geordie 19:10 27 Apr 2006

Hello,
I have 3 computers networked; 2 together with cable and one by wireless I use a buffalo hub to make it happen.
I have 3 printers: 1 laserjet 4plus, 1 deskjet 880C and 1 epsom Photo 200.
Yes I know its a mess but nobody starts out with an idea of making a mess.
The Laser and deskjet are conected to computer #1 via a data transfer switch. the epson is connected directly to computer #2
from each computer I connect to each printer in a different way either by using the data switch box or by the network system.
I regularly forget to change the switch position to get the printer I want from either machine.
Thats the set up.
The problem: how can I connect to any printer from any computer simply by selecting it?
Regards

mgmcc 21:58 27 Apr 2006

<<< The Laser and deskjet are connected to computer #1 via a data transfer switch >>>

If the two computers connect via USB, why are you using a switch rather than connecting them both directly to the computer? On the other hand, if two of the printers connect via a parallel port, can each be connected to a different PC and set as "shared" so as to be available from all networked computers?

Provided each printer is connected directly to a computer and set as "shared", it should be available from any computer in the network, provided of course that the computer hosting the printer is running.

Geordie 08:25 28 Apr 2006

Two of the printers are parallel and one is USB.
I will try your suggestion and connect the printers directly to two of the computers, on the face of it, it seems like one of those simple solutions and I will be saying to myself "Why could't I think of that". Very many thanks for your help.

Geordie 10:33 28 Apr 2006

Hello mgmcc,
its magic. the advice was excellent, every machine can reach every printer without problem. And no switch to bother about.
Thank you very much.
regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?