3-4 for mins to dial IE connection?

caast ©™ 19:40 13 Jan 2003
  caast ©™ 19:40 13 Jan 2003

When I click on the Internet Icon my browser appears but the Dial up connection dialog box that follows and shows me the modem is dialling my ISP now takes an age to follow 3-4 mins and start to dial.

Can anyone please tell me what may be causing this? and can it be rectified. I’m using IE browser and Ms XP home.

caast ©™ 21:22 13 Jan 2003

refresh

caast ©™ 20:34 14 Jan 2003

Day 2 and no response

or was it just something I said

graham 20:42 14 Jan 2003

Don't think it was something you said (Email anything I should know), it's just that no-one knows. While you're waiting for it to come up, try ctrl, alt, delete and see what's running. Has it always done this?

musicbassman 22:12 14 Jan 2003

........there can be a problem with very flaky dial up and connection, apparently connected with Mcafee auto update being scheduled but unable to run. Reboot, change auto update schedule to run once - it then will run almost straightaway,requesting connection. Connect and allow it to do its thing, then open IE Explorer and things may be back up to speed.
I've discovered this very recently, think I'll put this up as a separate thread as well.

caast ©™ 22:33 14 Jan 2003

Thanks for response
Possibility Mcafee will give it a try

TBH1 10:40 15 Jan 2003

caast ©™ - - -spooky enough, this has been happening to me for the past month or so .Only happens on the first dial-up after a reboot ie the first of the day - - - - -it just sits there, not even dialling, locking PC up - - then sometimes it will dial and connect and others throws out an error and once clicking " OK ", it dials successfully. Haven't been unduly worried over it since I know it will work eventually. My system W98SE, Athlon 600

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?