2nd Sata hard drive problem.

foxydan 13:20 29 Oct 2010

Hi all,

Here is my problem - I've had an external hard drive that does not get recognised when plugged in through the usb port. I've taken the usb port off and thought of connecting it as a 2nd sata drive to try and access it this way.

The problem is that when it is attached the pc won't boot winxp. It says that no hard drive is detected. When I disconnect it, it picks up my first sata drive and will boot into windows as normal. If I attach it when in xp, then winxp stops working - no mouse or keyboard function. It will return if i detach the 2nd drive.

When I access the bios to look at the boot order i can see my first sata drive listed in the boot order. When the other is attached it seems to knock it out and I can't see any drives apart from my floppy and dvd drive.

Can anyone advise on this or help me to configure it so I can access the 2nd sata drive?

Thanks

foxydan 14:19 29 Oct 2010

also - I'm using asus a8v delux motherboard if that helps!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:33 29 Oct 2010

Make sure Boot from USB is disabled in BIOS and retry.

jamesd1981 14:36 29 Oct 2010

is this an actual external drive which only has a usb connection, or does it have a sata connection aswell.

foxydan 15:34 29 Oct 2010

it was a usb external but it didn't work. I took off the back and you can see it is a sata drive but with usb converter attached to make it as an external removable disc.

I am trying to establish a sata connection. I already have 1 connected in the computer which loads the OS. When you attach the new drive it knocks everything else out.

foxydan 15:34 29 Oct 2010

it was a usb external but it didn't work. I took off the back and you can see it is a sata drive but with usb converter attached to make it as an external removable disc.

I am trying to establish a sata connection. I already have 1 connected in the computer which loads the OS. When you attach the new drive it knocks everything else out.

skeletal 17:07 29 Oct 2010

I found that the position of the SATA plugs makes a difference as to which drive boots. So you need to make sure the original drive is at the “top” and the new drive below it. It is hard to say what “top” means, but it looks like your new drive is assuming the top position. Can you plug it into a connector on the other side of your existing one?

Also, the fact it did not work on USB may mean that it is broken and that the fault is the drive, not the USB. Connecting a broken drive, in any order, may upset the computer.

Skeletal

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone