2nd HDD installation problems. PLEASE HELP!

rolmes 21:07 27 Feb 2006

I am at a loss as to what to try next.
I am trying to install a second HDD.
I know that:
1. The cables are connected correctly and in good working order
2. I have set the HDDs in the correct order on the cable and have configured the master/slave jumpers correctly
3. Bios is enabled to allow both drives
4. When I turn the power on the system boots fine - but the new/2nd HDD does not show in My Computer or Control Panel - ANYWHERE.
p.s. I have disconnected the 2 other drives (CD ROM and CD RW) to reduce the number of varibles that could be causing the problem. Operating system is Windows.
PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!

Totally-braindead 21:09 27 Feb 2006

You need to format the drive first.

rolmes 21:37 27 Feb 2006

How do I do this?
I bought the new HDD as an OEM - it didn't come with any software, wires etc.

phono 21:41 27 Feb 2006

What version of Windows are you running? It will make a difference as to how to proceed.

woodchip 21:44 27 Feb 2006

Right click on My Computer \Manage\Disc Management it's all in there, you should see your new drive their

rolmes 17:11 28 Feb 2006

sorry late in replying.
Phono - Windows 98
woodchip - when I right click My Computer it does not give the options you list (Manage/Disk Management) and the new drive does not show up in device manager in the control panel's system.

woodchip 17:14 28 Feb 2006

So what are you using Win98 or ME

Smiler 17:19 28 Feb 2006

Is the new drive recognised on start up or in the bios?

rolmes 17:28 28 Feb 2006

woodchip - win98
smiler - it's recognised on the very first black screen after booting the system, when the CPU is performing the POST test.

woodchip 17:46 28 Feb 2006

Then you have to first create a Win98 boot disc, Go to control panel\Add Remove choose create disc, it will ask for the Win98 CD. Then Start with the boot disc and at A:\> type FDISK, this is not easy. go to the bottom and have a look at the partitions that it see's you can create one primary Partition on any Hard Drive with FDISK then any more can be Extended Partitions etc look for the Free Space this is what you need to make a Partition on. After that you can Format the Drive in Windows Explorer by just right click the new drive and choose format

rolmes 17:50 28 Feb 2006

Just to clarify, I want to install a second hdd AND KEEP THE ORIGINAL INSTALLED, which is formatted and runs on windows 98. Do I still need to do the above?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires