2nd hdd D or E ?

cooked cow 16:26 11 Jul 2004

hi
just looking through the archive about dual boot
and read a reply from maj which stated that when in win 98 insert xp cd and follow screen instructions, and it will offer the choice where to install.im going to try this way but what letter will my 2nd hdd be?.better to explain what im going to do! currently running 98,want xp on 2nd hdd,so would it be C (with 98 on)D (CD ROM)E(slave). thanks cc

LastChip 16:38 11 Jul 2004

First hard drive C:

Second hard drive D:

CD drive E:

I don't think XP creates a Virtual drive (like '98), but if it does, your CD drive will become F:

It all becomes a little irrelevant anyway, because if you boot straight from the CD drive (go into the BIOS and make it your first boot drive) XP during the installation process will ask you where to install. C: will always be C: no matter what, so you shouldn't overwrite your '98 installation. Just keep an eye on the installation drive letter. You wont of course be able to install to your CD drive letter, so if you mistakenly attempt that, you will get an error.

cooked cow 16:55 11 Jul 2004

thanks LastChip.not done this before,as long as i know what to look out for.
thanks again. cc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?