2nd Hard Drive - Data question

wibblypig77 00:00 26 Oct 2004

If i install a second internal HDD and my PC crashes do i loose all the info on the 2nd HDD or can i remove and re-configure then put the 2nd HDD back in.

I don't want an external HDD as I have just had one and it went t*t* up (maxtor one touch).

Any advise would be appreciated

T

Cook2 00:03 26 Oct 2004

I use my 2nd HD for all pics, videos etc, if my computer crashes or HD one fails, my important backups are safe.

Danoh 00:29 26 Oct 2004

With only your data on your 2nd HDD keeping the O/S and all application programms on your 1st HDD, PC crashes on your 1st HDD would not affect your 2nd HDD at all. So no re-configuring needed at all.

However you will be open to the risk of the 2nd HDD failing so it'll be worthwhile backing up your data from the 2nd HDD regularly.

Alternatively, once you've moved your data (assuming you do not have software such as partition magic), you could reformat the 1st HDD to have 2 partitions i.e. 2 logical drives, C; and D:. Then you can format the 2nd HDD as drives E: and F:.

By keeping your O/S and application programs on C: drive, system crashes will not affect your data on the D: drive, even if its still on the same physical HDD.

You can keep some data files (non video & picture files which are very much larger in size typically) on the D: drive and backed up automatically to the E: drive.

Which only leaves you to back up the F: drive with large video/pic/graphic-design files off onto CD-Rs or DVD-Rs.

It won't be noticeable with todays HDD sizes, but smaller logical drives will actually gain you a bit more useable space in total with 4 logical drives rather than 2.

Wak 08:21 26 Oct 2004

Hi, I have two hard drives (C:\ and D:\) and clone all the info from C:\ to D:\ every two weeks as a back up using XXCOPY for Win 98SE.
If there are any problems with the C:\ drive it's a simple matter to clone everything back from the D:\ drive to the C:\ drive as it clones all the Windows System, registry, programs and data files.
Hope this helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?