2Hour Cut off time on Dial Up

kat64 11:09 10 Jul 2005

Hi, At the moment Broadband is not available in this area unti the 20th of this month so I am suffering Dial up with Tiscali. Every 2 hours my internet connection is cut and I have to re-connect. I am trying to download the Updates to AVG anti virus but its taking longer than the 2 hours so I keep losing what has been downloaded every time the 2 hour cut off point is reached. Is there a way of stopping this 2 hour connection Cut Off.
I run WinXP Pro with SP2 and my server is Tiscali.
regards

Taff36 11:15 10 Jul 2005

Two hours is a long time for an AVG update, perhaps try another time when the server is less busy. Also AVG has a setting that allows you to "resume" a download. You can see it as you get the download. I don`t have AVG free on this computer otherwise I`d explore the settings but someone else will assuming it`s available on the free version of course.

Belatucadrus 11:27 10 Jul 2005

The two hours is set by the ISP and there's nothing you can do about it.
I agree with Taff36, two hours for an update is a very long time, it should be enough to download the program several times over, even on a 56k modem.

De Marcus 12:02 10 Jul 2005

Check your modem properties for the auto disconnect feature and disable, I can't guide you as it's been a while since I've used dial up.

P.s. I never had any problems with leaving my blueyonder connection running all night for big downloads so I don't think it's an ISP issue, however it's worth checking out.

kat64 12:34 10 Jul 2005

Many Thanks for all your Comments and help Taf36,De Marcus & belatucadrus. I will let you know how I get on with it.
regards

kat64 12:42 10 Jul 2005

I Forgot to mention ,I have used Cable Broadband via NTL since it started but recently moved house to a 'place in the country. There is no B/B service available at the moment in this area so I am using an old 28k modem as a temp. measure until Broadband comes to this Area on the 20th July (Two Weeks ) Hooray.
Regards

Stuartli 13:09 10 Jul 2005

A two hour cut-off is very common and can be resumed with automatic redialling.

In IE's Tools>Internet Options>Connections>(highlight ISP)>Settings>Username Properties>General tab (check ISP)>Options tab>tick the Redial if Line is Dropped box.

If you use a download manager such as FreshDownload (free and free of ads) from click here it will resume a download (or pause one if you wish) as often as necessary. Set the number of resumes to a fairly high number if you get several dropouts.

Stuartli 13:12 10 Jul 2005

On average, any download on dialup (at close to maximum potential download speed) lasting at least two hours would be a file of approximately 60MB or more...:-)

I used to reckon three to three-and-a-half minutes per MB on dialup at a connection speed of 49.2kbps using FreshDownload.

kat64 14:11 10 Jul 2005

Stuartli. That sounds just what i need , many thanks for that.
regards

spuds 14:18 10 Jul 2005

I use to have Tiscali dial-up, and you will find that it can be a little hit and miss regarding the two cut-off time. I have always suspected that if the server is extremely busy the cut-off is prompt, otherwise you may find that you may get that little longer if the server is not busy.

Regarding the 2 hours plus for the AVG update, seems to point to a problem, as it should never take that long, even on dial-up, unless you are re-installing the complete works from new.

If you are using the free version, then the last update was V7.0.323 [09/07/2005].

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?