2Gb Ram but laptop still slow

item 17:15 08 Mar 2006

I have a Sony Vaio A317M which has Centrino 740, 80 GB hard disc and have upgraded to 2Gb RAM. Despite upgrade from 512MB RAM the programs still seem to run slowly. Office 2003 files are slow to open as are image files using windows viewer or Photo-ulead. Are there any adjustments I should make to memory settings to take full advantage of 2GB RAM (this is recognised under PC properties so no problem with installation)

Thanks

rawprawn 17:20 08 Mar 2006

Try running Ccleaner click here

woodchip 17:21 08 Mar 2006

Putting in more memory only makes it work faster when you are using, such things as Photo Edit and Video edit software. It will not make you laptop physically faster. That is limited to the CPU

item 18:15 08 Mar 2006

Thanks for replies. Have cleaned, defragged etc. I wonder if Norton Antivirus is the culprit as before opening any of my Office files The message bar shows scanning file. If a powerpoint file this can take 30secs to 1 minute depending on file size.

I read somewhere that more of the RAM memory can be allocated to running the software but can't recollect where I saw this.

rawprawn 18:21 08 Mar 2006

I don't use Norton, but can't you configure it not to scan your own Powerpoint material? You can increase/decrease virtual memory if that is what you mean, although I don't think that would help with your problem.

Diodorus Siculus 18:22 08 Mar 2006

Within Norton configuration is an option to turn off Office integration - that may help.

Once the files are open, do they process ok? With your configuration they should be fine.

item 18:32 08 Mar 2006

Rawprawn - Yes Virtual Memory was it. I gather from your response that increasing this is unlikely to help.

Diodorus Siculus - Thanks for that. Had a look at Norton options and have disabled Office plug in. Made a big difference to the speed of opening office files. Thanks

woodchip 18:35 08 Mar 2006

If you use MSoffice go to MSCONFIG in Run, and remove the tick for fast find and all MSoffice as you do not need them to run at startup

item 18:49 08 Mar 2006

Woodchip - Have done that. Office now opens file immediately. Thanks to all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?