2.5 in selfpowered Caddie failure

jack 15:35 26 Jun 2007

I have had come my way a 2.5 inch external HDD that would not load onto the owners laptop or desk top.
When I plugged it to my desktop -USB only[drawing USB 5v] it is a no go situation.
Stripped out the drive and connected it via an IDE/USB cable,with an external power supply and the drive works fine.
Conclusion- dud Caddie.
Purchased another caddie[as before another make self powered]
No Go
Made sure all other USB devices were inactive on host machine
Still no go.

Any other thoughts please.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:45 26 Jun 2007

IS it set to MASTER when in the caddy?

Will work as slave in the PC but needs to be master in a caddy.

Spark6 15:53 26 Jun 2007

Is the drive spinning when in the caddies? Are you able to try another drive, begged or borrowed, in the caddies?

€dstowe 16:03 26 Jun 2007

The things are so easy to wreck by injudicious plugging and unplugging of the USB port. They must ONLY be removed via the "Safely Remove Hardware" facility that is in the Sys tray otherwise you end up in a situation like you have now.

woodchip 16:10 26 Jun 2007

2.5 drives do not have a jumper

woodchip 16:12 26 Jun 2007

The new caddy may be faulty as there is no provision for altering Master slave a 2.5 is a Master

woodchip 16:14 26 Jun 2007

check you have plugged the drive into the caddy correctly, also it only as to move a bit for it to be disconnected

wee eddie 17:35 26 Jun 2007

I think that a USB powered Caddy is working so close to a USB Circuit's maximum power output that almost anything can put the Drive below it's optimum power and make it unusable.

jack 19:35 26 Jun 2007

Woody
Right there in slave/master option with a 2.5 drive - Guess they are made for lappies and PVRs and the assumption is one machine one drive.
Spark6
Spins OK in the external powered situtation when on the IDE/USB cable
but go run when in caddies using the Puters 5v- so perhap that is it.
There does not seem to be an external pwered caddie about from what I can see o the various web sites.

€dstowe
Well aware to the correct eject proceedure of external drives

Well we will keep plugging away I guess

karmgord 19:46 26 Jun 2007

I've got such a caddy,it has provision for an external 5v source,it does n't work solely from usb power despite being provided with a"twin usb lead" which draws power from TWO usb ports to some up if it has provision for an external power supply buy and use it

jack 19:54 26 Jun 2007

"twin usb lead"
So thats why they have them
I didn't sus that one.
Finding an external 5v supply is problematical
all the universals I have come across work in divisors of 12v -3 4.5 6. 9. 12

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?